1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tank Profile 110 gal of fuzzy rocks

Discussion in 'General Aquarium Discussion' started by bkillen, Jun 4, 2016.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. bkillen

bkillen New Member

I am on the waiting list for an L2 rev4.
    In the meantime let me introduce you to my aquarium. It is a 72"x18"x20" reef with a few softies and LPS. It is a bare bottom acrylic with a DIY 36" wide sort of coast to coast overflow box made from black acrylic with and bean animal overflow. Below from left to right is a20 gallon I use to mix new saltwater, an ATO reservoir and another 20 long serving as a sump. In the sump I have a old Euro-Reef CS6-2+ skimmer a 4x4x8" block of Cermedia and a GFO reactor and a heater.
    Flow in the main tank is provided by a Hydor Magnum 8 a Sicce Voyager 3 and a pair of Hydor Koralia 1050.
    Lighting is a 4x54w T5 fixture and a power compact.
    It has been up for around 5 years and has been through good and bad periods. Bare bottom seems to work well for me if I siphon frequently but when I get too busy things seem to go south fast. At that point it takes a lot of water changes and GFO to bring it back.
    I currently have a blue hippo tang a banded hawkfish and a pair of clowns.

whole-tank.jpg

sump.jpg

overflow.jpg

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Thanks for posting!

With the BB have you ever considered a Gyre?

Your L2 should be in your hands by the end of next week. I was supposed to get the LED/Driver boards Thursday...but they didn't show up yet :mad::mad::mad:

3. bkillen

bkillen New Member

I actually have the powerheads setup in a gyre like flow. this is a quick sketch of an overhead view. The grey shapes are my live rocks. Do you mean the new gyre powerheads? I have looked at those online. They are interesting.
    gyre.png

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Yeah the Maxspect ones. They're really good!

bkillen likes this.
  5. bkillen

bkillen New Member

Thank you, I received my L2 rev4 today. It was very meticulously packed. I am pouring over the quick start document and figuring out where in my tiny sump I am going to fit it.

Turbo likes this.
  6. Turbo

Between the skimmer and the block?

7. bkillen

bkillen New Member

That is my initial thought. I may try switching. Put the scrubber where the skimmer is and skimmer in center. With the new pop out chamber in the rev4 it should be easier to remove than the skimmer and the right side corner is harder to get at.

Turbo likes this.
  8. bkillen

bkillen New Member

Last week I had time to get my scrubber online and running. I'm just finding time to post an update. First I had to make some space by moving my Cermedia block to the far right side. This put the item needing less hands-on in the hard to get at spot. I also replaced my clip-on light that was used for seeing in the sump area and replaced it with stick-on LED strips that occupy much less space. the small white box stuck to the side of the opening is the switch.

1st-room.JPG

I made a simple bracket from some 1/2" aluminum square tubing I had laying around
    bracket.JPG

Bracket in place.
    3-bracket.JPG

scrubber mounted, light power supply mounted and light put on timer.
    4-mounted.JPG

danmgray likes this.
  9. Turbo

Perfect!! Nice bracket.