1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acrylic 120g Sump

Discussion in 'General Aquarium Discussion' started by Turbo, Jun 26, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Here is a sump that I am nearly finished designing and will start building pretty soon. Add this to the long list of stuff to get done LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The baffles with the cutouts in the middle will hold removable media baskets, in this case, for filling with Seachem Pond Matrix. Each basket has 2 chambers for 1.5L (90 cu in) of media, for a total of 12L of media.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

This project got pushed off until after MACNA, been picking away at it this past week. Had the parts cut a while back:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starting bonding everything to the back panel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

any pics of the finished product?

4. Turbo

Adding baffles between baffles and trying to keep everything square is very complex. It helps to have a few 2" square steel tubes lying around, and it helps to think out of the box

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I skipped pics of bonding on the front panel, but the baffles were not squared up very nice so I had a lot of clamping and bracing going on to force things into place, along with a lot of weights in strategic places. That was followed by a lot of scraping to get all the pieces on the same plane in prep for bonding the bottom on.

Bonding the euro (not shown) and bottom means lots of shims, pins, and setup time. It's even more complicated when you have as many baffles as this build has

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few shots of the tank after all bonding was done

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Media Baskets (for Seachem Pond Matrix)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall tank shot after flush trimming was done (shaky shot...sorry)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Ace25

Ace25 Member Trusted Member

Fricken AWESOME! So when can we start ordering custom sumps from you. ;)

Ricky likes this.
  6. Turbo

I've made plenty but never shipped anything really. That gets a bit expensive, but I'm looking into freight options. I guess I'll have to post a few more builds for you guys to drool over

7. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

very nice!