1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acrylic 180g Sump Repair

Discussion in 'General Aquarium Discussion' started by Turbo, May 3, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Here's my latest project. A friend picked up a failed sump for free. 180g, 72 x 24 x 24, all joints were capillary welded and panels were rough cut w/o any edge prep. This is a case for how you should not build a sump.

[​IMG]

Euro snapped off in 2 places when he tried to lift the tank by it when he got it - snapped clean off, like it was not ever bonded!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The reason it was free - vertical seam failed, again snapped clean like never bonded

[​IMG]

The pressure of the failure cracked the bottom panel, but it doesn't go all the way through the panel (can't feel the crack on the bottom of the bottom panel)

[​IMG]

other scary looking welds

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Believe it or not, this thing held water for a time and was actually in use!!

The plan is to:

1) drill a hole to stop the crack from progressing

2) re-weld the vertical joint (rough weld)

3) re-attach the euro sections

4) gusset all seams (top, bottom, vertical) with 3/4" triangle rod and square rod in the corners using Weld-On #40

5) patch in missing (cut out) euro sections with 3/8"

6) laminate entire euro with 1/4" strips

I spent a few hours cleaning it all up and prepping the bad corner for re-welding.

I have the WO40 and 8 pieces of 6 foot 3/4" triangle rod. This should be fun!!

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Tank cleaned up

[​IMG]

Welded the bottom joint and crack in the bottom panel. Solvent wicked in pretty well

[​IMG]

Weight on it

[​IMG]

I did skip the drilling of the crack. I will do this later...