This is a journal of the makeover of a tank that I have been (shoddily) maintaining for the last few years. It is located in a Japanese Hibachi Grill type steakhouse in the Des Moines, Iowa area. A short background: When I first approached the owner of this tank in Spring of 2010, here is now the tank looked: Needless to say, Nitrates were >800 and I couldn't even test P with any accuracy. The tank also had a Charlie Brown pattern across the front where someone had gouged the inside panel with a Mag-Float. I emptied the tank, QTd the fish, sanded & polished the tank, and refilled it. I used the existing bioballs to avoid anything more than a mini-cycle (successfully) The Yellow Tang made it about a month, then freaked out (I think the light timer got flipped to the "on" position, and no one turned it off), bled out, and died. The filter system up until now has consisted of a filter pad, drip tray over bio-balls, and a generic skimmer. I re-stocked the tank with fish from an LFS, most of them eventually died. I added a few fish I bought from local club members, and most of them are still alive. The tank was generally over-fed, but what are you going to do. Performing anything over a 20% PWC was difficult, and didn't seem to make a dent. The existing sump was not friendly to any kind of algae scrubber setup at the time. The new feeding-based guidelines then came out, but it was still problematic. The owner sold the restaurant and the new owners eventually decided that they wanted the system to have more fish, and perhaps a coral reef. Here is the tank now: I added an L2 Algae Scrubber, but after months of running it - no results. I started a thread to help determine the problem. Long story shot is that when I originally tore the tank down, I sprayed the rocks with bleack, powerwashed, and soaked them in freshwater/prime, etc, but this does nothing to release stored up nutrients - I should have soaked them in acid. The cyano and red algae growth in the tank is not as bad as it used to be, but still pretty bad, and this combined with high phosphate seems to be inhibiting GHA growth on the scrubber all I get is gel-like algae that clogs the slot pipe rather easily, and a bare screen everywhere else. So the solution was going to be to QT the fish, acid soak the rocks, and set it up again. Which did worry me, as I feared losing fish again. Then, something dropped in my lap: a friend in the local club decided to get out, and tear down his 220 Reef system. I bought all of his Live Rock, Substrate, and fish. Here is what his system looked like (he had already sold all his corals): He lived about 75 minutes away. Me and a buddy hopped in my minivan with the sto-n-go seats and headed out. Got there around 9am, left around 12:45, and got to my home at around 2:15. The van was at maximum capacity: 24 5g buckets, 2 7g buckets, a 20g Brute can and 32g Brute can (with big rocks and 1/3 full of water), on top of that, 3 totes w/misc stuff including a Geo Kalk reactor and a 100g poly mixing station. It was a low-ri-der. A few hours later, all the fish were in their temporary home. The night before, I had plumbed in my utility sink, ran a dedicated electric circuit (lucky for me, discovered a "future" circuit wire, 20A circuit, in the perfect location) and set up an borrow 5' 120. I had to also set up a 40B as there was ust too much rock. After a few more hours, and getting some loaned light fixtures, I had circulation, heating and lighting in place. Rio 1100, MJ-1200, MP10 (borrowed) Kessils (borrowed) over the 40B, one blue, one white Tangs (8" Vlamingi, Yellow, Desjardini Sailfin) Chromis (12 Blue/Green, 9 Reef) and one big honking wicked cool rock, a plate/cap (not a live coral). I call it the Fish Satellite Dish. Coral Beauty Angel Lawnmower Blenny Other fish not pictured: Flameback Angel Bicolor Angel Goby & Pistol Shrimp Pair Reef Chromis (hiding) 9 of them Blue Damsel (a calm one) I got all the Live Sand also, as well as snails, hermits, and other crabs (including one of the biggest emerald crabs I have ever seen) After all was done - cleanup time. Here is the Geo Kalk Reactor (for my use, or on another tank) and the 100g mixing station (full tunrkey setup, pump and all) ...and here they shall stay, until the next big move, in 2 weeks. In the meantime, I will be re-working the filtration system and planning out the rock scaping.