1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acrylic 30g Rimless Frag Sale Tank

Discussion in 'General Aquarium Discussion' started by Turbo, Feb 28, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Making this for a local club member for an upcoming Frag Fest

It's about 36 x 24 and 8" deep in the inside, all walls are 1/2", back and fence are black, bottom is 3/8" black. I made a few others like this using 3/8" walls and 1/4" bottom, and those were OK and are still being used, but being rimless they did seem a little flimsy - easy to twist, and definitely not for everyday use. This one should be much better. Made to hold a Maxi-Jet (Cobalt MJ1200) in the rear chamber.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I also flipped the orientation of the pieces - the front/back/fence are bonded to the end. Normally you would bond the ends to the front so that the front panel is seamless across the front (i.e. you don't 'see' the end of the side pieces on the front corners) but after doing 2 tanks the other way and screwing with trying to get the fence perfectly square and spaced just right (hard to explain) I just opted to do it the other way.

3. Turbo

Haven't updated this in a while. I finished off this one and built another since the last update!

pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I polished it all up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back chamber for filtration

[​IMG]

Overflow (needed to make this deeper so the water level is not so high in the tank - oops)

[​IMG]

Hole for pump (MJ-1200)

[​IMG]

Polished & rounded corners

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Turbo

I also make a frag rack system, stackable 1" / 2" / 3" racks, 6.5" x 6" with 34 holes at 1" on center, 7/16" each (for Oceans Wonders frag plugs, or any other) and a stack holder. Each rack system fits in a 5 gallon bucket, and 5 of them fits perfectly in the tank. I have 4 local club members with these tanks, all 4 of them were at out last Frag Fest this past weekend, and 3 of them with the frag rack systems also!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All different stacking configurations

[​IMG]

In the frag tank

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

That is just beautiful!.. the finish is amazing. I would tell the guy to keep the frags and sell me the tank.

6. Turbo

Got 3 of these sitting in my garage, just need polished up (one is sold)

7. Ace25

Ace25 Member Trusted Member

OMG, you need to stop, I want one of each of the things you have been posting today. LOL

8. Rumpy Pumpy

Rumpy Pumpy Member Trusted Member

UK
    Hadn't realised that you made all this other stuff Turbo.

Have to say the quality and designs look tip top.

9. Mattiejay6

Mattiejay6 New Member Customer

How did you polish and round out your edges so nicely?

10. Drufish

Drufish New Member Customer

Would make a cool mangrove tank.

11. Turbo

Rounding with either a 1/8" or 1/4" roundover router bit. Next if there are a lot of inconsistencies I use a heavy grit sandpaper to get the general shape consistent, then switch to lighter grit to even it out. Then wet sanding with multiple grades of paper starting at 400 and going up through about 2000, then 3000 wet/dry sponge sandpaper (from auto store) followed by a pass with a Black & Decker random orbital buffer and Meguiar's polish. I'll probably take some pics of the next time I go through this process

12. Mattiejay6

Mattiejay6 New Member Customer

Wow.. How much is a frag tank with shipping to me 22408.. You can text me if you'd like.

13. Turbo

Don't let me forget about you - busy weekend (tank maintenance up the ying yang) busy work week ahead also

14. Brettster

Brettster New Member

Mn
    Can you pm me a price shipped to 55710?

15. Turbo

Oops sorry I forgot to get back to you. It's been a rather hectic few weeks!! I'll reply to your PM shortly

16. Jonah Spedden

Jonah Spedden New Member

Hello, I'm wondering if you still have 1 left and if so how much would it be sent to 33967 (Fort Myers)? Thank you

17. Turbo

I don't have any done, not sure when I'll do another batch. Shipping is rather expensive, and I haven't had time to dig into different methods that might be cheaper.

18. Kerry

Kerry Member Trusted Member Customer

Hello Bud,
    What do you sell these for? Thats a nice looking set-up Sir.

19. Turbo

I sell these for around $300, then the frag racks are a stack of 3 with the base carrier for $35 per set or $150 for a set of 5 sets (which fits perfectly into the tank)

20. Kerry

Kerry Member Trusted Member Customer

I bet they could sell pretty well. Thats a really nice unit. I bet a combo might even be better, like maybe a scrubber with it and some rack as a package.