1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acrylic 30g Rimless Frag Sale Tank

Discussion in 'General Aquarium Discussion' started by Turbo, Feb 28, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Yeah I've sold about 6 or 8 of these locally, during our local frag fests, over half of the tanks are ones that I've built :)

2. Kerry

Kerry Member Trusted Member Customer

I have really been wanting to do a frag tank but seems I always have a lot going on with the business so I leave it alone for now. Lately I have been messing around with growing phytoplankton with LED and building some DIY DT fixtures to use up what ever little free time I have.

3. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

The rimless tank is really mainly for selling at a frag swap/show (hand sanded round & polished edges are labor intensive), but I started making these with 1/2" thick walls so they could be used on a continuous basis. For grow-out tanks, I would make them with 3/8" walls and a 1/4" euro, clear all around, which is generally a bit cheaper (and no polishing of edges)

4. Kerry

Either way its really nice, most frag tanks I see are just tubs that are not clear.

5. Turbo

That's because those are super cheap. For a frag grow-out operation, it's all about cost. Go to a hydroponics shop and you can pick up white or black 8" deep plastic tubs for nothing compared to the cost of an acrylic frag tank. For the shows though, you want the bling. At our frag swaps, most people have nice looking tanks - overall presentation is a key factor, as well as lighting.

6. Kerry

I want a frag show/grow out tank on my bar between my kitchen and TV/living area. Its not used for anything really. Its about 6 foot long and 18 inches wide and sets about 4 foot off the floor. It backs into a wall that has a closet on the other side where all the plumbing, scrubber, and electrical could go. This is why yours really intrigued me as mine would be out in the open and right at the main door we use. The problem is I cant talk the wife into it so I will likely end up with an ugly one out in the shop.

7. sponge

sponge New Member

Thought I would revisit this old thread:0) Turbo does excellent acrylic fabrication! I was one individual whom he built the frag tank for:0) It's a rock! As a matter of fact, the pics in this thread may very well be those of my tank?! Maybe Turbo can speak to that?

Anyway, I have traveled with it to many swaps in the midwest and never a problem! I am selling mine along with the acrylic rack system, LED light (Turbo made it:) and pvc light stand. It is in like-new condition. I have consistently received compliments on the frag tank system! Time for me to downsize so that's why I am selling. As Turbo stated, shipping will be costly but you will not be disappointed if you are in the market for a quality built and beautiful frag tank! It will make your dreams come true!! Message me if seriously interested:0) Thanks and happy scrubbing! lol

8. Turbo

Thanks @sponge! Honestly I can't remember who I built this one for, I've made about 8 or 9.