1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

36gal Elos Midi scrubber only setup

Discussion in 'Customer Support' started by Drufish, Nov 27, 2012.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Drufish

Drufish New Member Customer

I've been wanting to share my tank for a while and now that all my hair algae is gone due to the greatness that is the algae turf scrubber, I thought I would share my setup. Started it in July and cycled the tank completely with the scrubber. I had before pics before the screen was not mature and I took a two week trip with no care to tank. Those very hairy pics got deleted by my beautiful wife. I do however have some pics of the current setup. Tank is a little too blue for my liking but I already have them installed and will lighten it up in the future

36gal Elos Midi
    Sump/filtration: 5gal tank with L2 scrubber and heater. Display has about 30lbs or LR
    Second 5gal tank with topoff water and osmocontroller auto topoff
    Lighting: ATI Dimmable SunPower T5
    Flow: Vortech MP10
    Fish: Captive Bred Oc Clowns, Dwarf Cherub Angel, Yellow Watchman Goby/Pistol Shrimp pair
    Coral:purple Hammer, Green Hammer, Branching Frogspawn, Frogspawn, Leptastria (orange/maroon), Acan, Lobe, Trumpet Coral
    Parameters: Will have to check when I get home but everything was fine when I tested today.

Also have basic cleanup crew. Hope the pics load as I've never done this before. Be gentle :p

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  2. Drufish

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Drufish

Just realized I didn't put the emergency drain pipe back in after cleaning. Oooops. Also, that is Arya one of our Maine Coons. She does that every time my wife or I is at the tank. Water is cloudy because I was digging around in the sand for a reason I can't remember. Sorry or the huge pics as I'm not computer savy and probably need to shrink them down a bit in photobucket. Will add screen pics after 7 days when I clean on Friday. Getting nice green growth now. Tank is now 4 months old and cycled with scrubber. Any questions or want more pics, just let me know and I will do my best. Thanks for looking, Drew

4. Kerry

Kerry Member Trusted Member Customer

Looking good!! I also like to cycle with a scrubber and will not do it any other way now. OH, and we like the BIG pics!!! I also seen the cat and thought is was a Coon. We have considered one when the two oldest leave for college in about a year. The second choice was a F2 or F3 Savanna cat but BOY those things are not cheap so it will be Coon more then likely. Do they get along with other domestic cats ok?

5. Drufish

The breeder we got ours from raised them with other cats, a dog, a parakeet and a fish tank in the house so ours get along well with anything. So it depends on he breeder. They tend to be a mild manner breed as is so I'm sure it would take some getting used too but they would come around pretty quick. Savanna's are great cats too but I love our Maine Coons Arya and Loki. Also glad you guys like big pics and yes after cycling this tank with a scrubber, I wouldn't do it any other way.

6. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I kept your e-mails with pics attached if you want me to post them! I have one called "hairy tank" though it's not really that bad...

7. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Oh yeah, and what happened to that nice sump that was originally on the tank?

8. Drufish

Yeah, If you want to post the hairy pic that would be great!! It did get worse than that for about a week and then poof, the algae was gone!!! As for the sump, it came with the system and still have it. I was playing around with different options and the 2 5gals give me more space under the cabinet and the scrubber sits perfectly on them. I may sell that sump with the skimmer that came with the system or just keep it for another tank down the road.

9. Drufish

Thought I would update.

Changed the rocks around and like the smaller island. And of course screen growth after 10 days. Hard to keep this coraline algae under control. Scrape the tank 2x a day and purple spots still sprout all over the front glass!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]