1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acrylic Acrylic polishing

Discussion in 'General Aquarium Discussion' started by kotlec, Jun 21, 2014.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. kotlec

kotlec New Member

Anyone has knowledge on making nice looking edges ?

I need to cut 2 inch rod at 45 degree and make that and to look completely transparent . Is it possible ?
    If yes - how it should be done.

Another case is making small drilled hole to look nice. I would cut it with laser , but hole should be at 45 degree and laser dont do that. At least one that I have access to.

Expecting your help.
    Floyd ?

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Here's something I recently posted on my local club site about this

http://www.greateriowareefsociety.org/Forums/tabid/78/aft/34196/Default.aspx

Below is the pertinent part of that post

For your case, a 2" rod cut at a 45 degree angle, I would go through the process outlined above. It might be a bit tricky to do the polishing part using a power buffer, because those tend to vibrate a lot and when you don't have something in contact with them, the pad can fly apart. So you might end up doing that part by hand or maybe just using a polishing wheel, like one of those used on a bench grinder/buffer, or one that attaches to a drill bit with an arbor fitting - I've used that before also.

As for the drilled hole, if you use an acrylic drill bit, this will give you the best results. But I think the biggest challenge there will be drilling the hole at a 45. Polishing it out would be easier, because you probably won't have as much sanding to do. You would want to knock down the sharp edge first with a razor blade (on both sides of the hole) and then start in with sanding, just a piece of wet/dry paper wrapped around your finger (depending on how big the hole is)

Of course you can also flame-polish the rod and/or hole, but if you read that thread I linked to above, you'll understand that flame polishing is very stressful, so in an aquarium environment, I would not do it.

tedlietz likes this.
  3. kotlec

kotlec New Member

Floyd,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
    BTW this will be non aquarium related project.
    I will try to follow your advices anyway.

4. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

This will prove invaluable if my "edge lit screen" comes to fruition ;)

tedlietz likes this.
  5. Devs

Devs New Member

uk
    Did your edge lit screen ever come to fruition ? I kinda like this idea !