1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acrylic Reef Tank Recommendations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by baddiesel, Jan 18, 2014.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. baddiesel

baddiesel Member Customer

I'm planning my retirement gift to myself. I would like to purchase an 8 ft acrylic tank, roughly 24" wide by 24" high. I would prefer an internal "coast to coast"/Bean Animal overflow. Haven't been able to locate any vendors that use anything thicker than 3/8". I've heard a lot of bad remarks from glass cages customers, so I was just wondering if anyone knew of a manufacture/vendor?. I would prefer a source closer to the east coast, if possible. Thanks in advance for your inputs/advice.

2. Rumpy Pumpy

Rumpy Pumpy Member Trusted Member

UK
    No idea but a tank that size is going to hold the best part of a ton of water, so you'd better be sure whoever builds it knows their stuff.

Good luck with it, should make for a stunning reef.

3. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

Can't help I'm afraid but very jealous.

4. baddiesel

I've been designing the sump/seawater support system for a year now, and without hiring a "custom builder", I can't locate just a "regular" manufacturer that build's one with vertical walls at least 3/4" thick. I really do not want the typical corner overflows. They just don't move enough water to satisfy me. CASCO, TRU-VU, SeaClear, and few others look like balloons ready to burst (IMO), when completely filled. Hope I don't offend anyone, and I mean no disrespect. I personally owned a 55g SeaClear or SeaKlear, and I was afraid it would rupture. I don't have the skills and time to practice this craft, or I would take a gamble and try to construct it myself. Good quality cell cast acrylic is very expensive, especially 3/4". Guess that's why I can only find 3/8" thick " assembly-line tanks from vendors.

5. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Bottom line: go to Envision Acrylics. James Steele. He is "Acrylics" on RC. Best tanks builder out there, IMO.

http://www.envisionacrylics.com/index.html

Website isn't much but that's because he spends most of his time building tanks. Big tanks. And kreisels (jellyfish tanks) for public aquaria.

6. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

You are right to steer clear of any of the mass-tank builders. They always build to the minimum. James will build it right and it will last a lifetime.

If you want my help designing it, I can give you my input or even do a CAD workup for you.

IMO the simplest design is the standard tank with only holes on the back wall for a separate internal/external overflow system. Internal weir, either with or without teeth (or a design I have been tossing around in my head that would allow you to easily change from one to the other without swapping boxes) and an external box for the 3-pipe BeanAnimal drain system. Held on with bulkheads.

This way, it's not a permanent installation - if something doesn't work quite exactly to your liking, you can change it/modify it without a major re-work of the tank.

7. baddiesel

Thanks Turbo, I really thank you and appreciate the info. I insist on implementing a "Bean Animal/Coast to Coast" overflow on the back of the tank. Just don't exactly know where to install the returns. I've been thinking about an "Ocean Motions" closed loop device. This would eleminate the need for power heads, if strategically placed.

I've been busy working on my natural seawater filter system. I'm not braggin' about living on the east coast, it does have many pitfalls and downsides, especially huricanes and nor'easters. But fishing and fish are my passion, and I intend on taking advantage of the seawater. I'd like to take a look at your designs. Thanks again!!!

8. baddiesel

I received my price quote from James. I'm sure he's a topnotch craftsman, but shipping alone was too much. Guess I'm going to have re-think my dream tank. I believe I'm going to have to order a non-reef ready acrylic tank, and drill it myself for a coast to coast/bean animal overflow.

9. baddiesel

Adam Bowers (Art Fully Acrylic) will probably be my ticket. His shop is just down the road from one of the hotels where I frequently visit. Thanks Bud for the contact info. I've decided against getting a blonde naso tang. Sooner or later, it'll outgrow a 240g tank (according to RC).

10. Turbo

I've got a blonde naso, a blue hippo, a yellow, and a Vlamingi Naso in a 200g in a restaurant. Yeah they'll get big, but it will take time. I think the Vlamingi went from 7" to 8" in the last 6 months.

Our LFS has a 1200g that I can probably get him into if he outgrows it though.