1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding UV to the scrubber LED array

Discussion in 'Experimental Scrubber Concepts' started by Kerry, Apr 23, 2014.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Kerry

Kerry Member Trusted Member Customer

Has anyone ever tried or have info on adding an UV LED to the scrubber LED array? I only ask because since I have added UV to my DIY display LED my algae outbreak that happened when my scrubber pump was restricted had been receding. Once I added the UV the receding slowed a LOT but know its began to grow like it competing with my scrubber. My scrubber still grows algae as what appears to be a good rate. My routine is the same as I am a creature of habit, OK its OCD!!!

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

The term UV can be used loosely, so lets be clear: are you using an actual UV, or a deep violet like this one:

http://shop.stevesleds.com/3-Watt-True-Violet-LED-Version-20-TVSC20.htm

3. Kerry

Yes, I am talking about 417-420nm 3W 700mA. I think I will only be driving at 350mA with a 2 moonlight LED driver as a test if there is evidence it might help the algae.

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Theoretically 660nm should be paired with 420-425 as these are a A band. But I think the RBs have enough to hit enough of both A&B blue bands so I haven't bothered to go down that road.

5. Kerry

I thought my 660/445nm set-up was working great but after seeing the algae in my DT start growing (after adding UV to the DT fixture) and not receding (as it was before) I was starting to think otherwise. I you were going add UV how much would you go, I have 6 LED's on each side, 4/660nm and 2/445nm. I was thinking of adding one or two to each side but leaning toward one.

6. Turbo

I would swap out the RBs for the DV (deep violet) and run them in parallel so they are at 1/2 power, or like you said put them on a moonlight driver

7. Kerry

I am not doing much today, Wednesday is pretty slow around here. Maybe I will get this done. I have been wanting to make a change to my slot pipe anyway as its still the old school one with slots cross-ways.

8. Turbo

Sounds like you need a custom router-cut slot pipe :)

9. Kerry

LOL, I just put them on the table saw. I have a little jig for the pipe to make it easy to cut.
    I have used the router table but I have to set that up as its normally in the way and not used often.

10. Turbo

Use schedule 80 pipe - makes a huge difference. I used to do the table saw thing but on longer slots, even that does not work well. I cut with the router in one direction, then reverse back across the entire length to re-cut it, the pipe will relax closed immediately after the first cut and the second pass trims it out. Plus a standard table saw blade is 1/10", I had to buy a Bosch wide-tooth blade to get a 1/8" slot.

11. Kerry

My jig sets against my guide the I rotate it horizontally to cut just a hair more. My jig is just a trimmed tee on one side to make this happen. I have a tee for each end.

12. Kerry

I got my 445nm LED's replaced with 420nm LED's yesterday. I decided to wait until cleaning day so I could get a better picture of how it will go. I am using my 6.5x6.5=ish screen with 4 660nm and 3 420nm LED's per side. The 75g and 150g are still using the 445nm blues, those will get changed if this test on the 40g works.

13. Kerry

Ok, the 417nm LED in place of the 445nm is working like a GEM!!! Its like when I added 445nm to the 660nm array but double that. My take is to use the 660nm and the 417nm LED's and ditch the 445nm ones. Way better growth and I am going to have to turn down my timer because there was a little bit of yellow algae but I am going to wait unit next cleaning because the algae grew way up into the slot so maybe that caused a reduction in flow and cause the yellowing. Either way, all of my scrubbers are going to be converted to 660nm/417nm as of the near future.

Garf likes this.
  14. Turbo

Very interesting Kerry!! Thanks for trying this. Have any pics?

15. Kerry

Sorry it took so long, this is 15 days growth which is about double what I got before swapping out blue for violet UV.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Turbo

Is that a 3/4" pipe?

17. Kerry

Yes it is Sir?

18. Turbo

You need a light blocker! I have about 200 feet worth. What's the distance between the rings?

19. Kerry

The inner ring width is 4.5" and the screen is 7.25" but as you can see the last part is just to keep it quiet after the screen is cleaned.

20. Turbo

How many reds and violets are you running on each side and at what current? violets at full current?