1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding UV to the scrubber LED array

Discussion in 'Experimental Scrubber Concepts' started by Kerry, Apr 23, 2014.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Kerry

Kerry Member Trusted Member Customer

I am running 4 660nm and 3 420nm on each side and all are at full current.

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Interesting that you are running so many violets compared to the reds. I suppose that you can get away with running the violets at full current, unlike the royal blues.

3. Kerry

I ran the RB at full current to, 700mA.

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Well now you're just poking all kinds of holes in my "Rule of Thumb" on LEDs aren't you. Sheesh!

Garf likes this.
  5. Kerry

I have always done this, this one is driven with one of those cheap 700mA ones from RapidLED. I find that if I keep my water flow up I dont have any issues but as you seen in the pics toward the end of the 14 days I start to yellow due to restricted flow with these 420nm LED's because I get a lot more 3D growth.

6. Turbo

That's what the light blockers will help with. When you get the really thick growth, it will grow right up to and attach to the bottom edge of the light blockers, but no further. Then the algae + light blockers actually acts to protect the slot/screen junction meaning almost zero growth at the slot so you flow rate is maintained throughout the entire growth cycle. Additionally at the top of the screen you get flow through the middle of the algae mat, which then pushes out to the outside as the water falls.

I didn't really realize that this effect would take place, I had to see it happening. I've had people report back that after installing the light blockers, their growth doubled. The more I see their effects, the more I realize that as simple as they are, they really are a game changer in the waterfall scrubber arena.

7. Kerry

I bet they would help out a lot!!! I normally run my fingers along the slot edge at about day 10-ish if I think about to clear some algae away. My Foxface in my 150G really likes this action, LOL!

8. Pny

Pny Member

Very interesting... Are any of the other algae scrubbers on the same tank? ie: you are sure it is the switch to violett LEDs that made the difference?

9. Kerry

I am sure this changing of LED made this difference, I only have one scrubber per tank, three total. I want to change my other two tanks to confirm this finding. I have done nothing different to my tanks besides added a few frags over the last couple months. I am a creature/person of habit and like to keep things the same so I have a routine. This routine is always pretty much the same beside maybe a little different amount in top-off Kalk or top-off water due to tank needs. ....... A little history-- This is very similar to the added effect I got when I added 445nm to my all 660nm array years back. Back then I found more 3D growth and faster growth but replacing the 445nm with the 417-420nm is more profound yet. I have some heatsinks I might be able to use on 150G scrubber so I hope to have that done this weekend maybe.

10. acorral

acorral Member Customer

Tagging along !!

11. Matt Berry

Matt Berry Active Member Trusted Member

Do you have any updates to this Kerry?
    I think it's definitely something worth exploring further.

I wonder if having all three (660nm, 445nm & ~417nm) would work even better. Did you run the 417nm LED's at the same current as the 445nm LED's?

12. Kerry

Its been working really great. I have not updated my other two scrubbers because I may plan to consolidate two tanks in Nov or Dec. This one outproduces the others by about 10-20% between cleanings. The biggest thing I notice is the new growth is much faster. I will not build another scrubber without the three different ones again if that tells you something.
    I have been trying to get rid of my SA cichlids but no luck yet, once I do then I will have a tank to combine my 40g and 75g.

13. Turbo

I got a hold of some violets recently. Steve's LEDs used to carry one kind, but they found out that the had a very high failure rate. So they dropped that one and started carrying another one

http://shop.stevesleds.com/Hyper-Violet-V30-Vio30.htm

This one comes with a 60 degree dome, which is very tall (about 1/8" above the chip) and you can take a straight razor (one of the really thin ones) and cut the dome off about 1/2 way up and you get a great distribution at 2" from the screen.

I still plan on replacing my blue LEDs on a few units with these. Unfortunately I don't have harvest measurements from weighing, just photos, which are subjective. Even when weighing it's hard to say what makes a difference, something can happen in a tank one week that causes a growth spurt immediately or delayed, etc. Heck my growth has even dramatically changed over the last 6 months and I haven't touched the tank, at all.

14. Kerry

I got a big order from a china deal and have only had one failure but I think it was my fault. My growth does fluctuate as everyone else does. I think the biggest thing is faster growth. I dont measure my cleaning so I can only estimate by eye the more growth I get but I know thats not super accurate.
    I forgot to answer the driver power question, I bought 700ma ones so I could use the same driver. How you drive it really depends on your needs to filter or what drivers you already do or dont have.
    It would be interesting to see other folks test growth with the violet LED's. I work 7 days a week with my business and dont have the time I use to for this test and research stuff. After turkey day it slows down so maybe then I can dedicate some more time to it when I consolidate my two tanks to one. This will leave me with my 150G and a 125G which will be easier to manage due to time issues.