1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Algae Detachment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by emil_arvidsson, Aug 8, 2019.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. emil_arvidsson

emil_arvidsson New Member

Sweden
    1. My ats has been running for some six weeks and i get green nice growth and has been cleaning following Turbos guide for break in of screen. Only rinsed the 4 first weeks. Last 2 weeks I’ve rubbed the screen with my fingertips. On some small places the algae loosened like a film and fell off. No signs off detachment until I started rubbing the screen. I also dipped in freshwater last 2 weeks.

Do I need to rough up the screen more on the mentioned areas ?
      I was really thorough when I roughened the screen though ( with a hole saw ) can’t imagine that I missed spots. Double - triple checked.

Longer interval between cleanings ?

This time I’ll let it grow 2 weeks without cleaning.

I’ll post some pre / post pictures during the next harvest/cleaning.

Regards Emil / Sweden :)

2. emil_arvidsson

Sweden
    Any ideas ?

3. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Sorry for the delay
    Rub & Rinse is from the start, you always want to cause detachment of anything that is very loosely attached. So you could have rubbed lightly during the first month. I'm not sure that matters with yours, just posting that mainly for others reading it.

What could have happened is that you had some growth that clung on but would have detached had you been doing more than just rinsing, so that easily came off. Even a non-roughed-up screen will eventually get algae attachment. So that's not the problem, IMO

10-14 days is fine.

4. emil_arvidsson

Sweden
    Pictures / vids from yesterday’s cleaning - harvest. 14 days since last time. Here you can see that it comes off like a carpet which is a couple of millimeters thick. I only rubbed the screen with my fingertips, no tools used.

Additional info:
    •Ats been running
    for 1 1/2 month
    •No - 3-5 Po - 0,04
    •Dosing iron daily
    •Dosing nopox

A side before cleaning: 6D9C15B5-184F-482C-8565-1A717E6B0037.jpeg
    B side before cleaning: 0197FF4C-E802-4337-A08C-472121E27E8D.jpeg Algae comes off in “stripes” and “blanket/carpet” shape: 1BDD32D8-F338-4694-AF07-FFEC8C83AF4E.jpeg C37812B0-B7BD-487E-AFBB-A87C2E46B8ED.jpeg
    After cleaning. Both sides look like this after rubbing thoroughly with fingertips during rinsing: 02D273E6-FBF4-4DA6-9808-AE4292D7F49F.jpeg

5. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Can you post a few pics of your scrubber and give us some parameters, such as overall dimensions, screen dims, flow rate, light fixtures, photoperiod, etc?

Also tell us more about your system - how old is the system, what other filtration you are also using, livestock, feeding (type, amount, frequency, etc)?

6. emil_arvidsson

Sweden
    Allright. Will do ASAP.