1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Algae Detachment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by emil_arvidsson, Aug 8, 2019.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. emil_arvidsson

emil_arvidsson New Member

It got to a point where the algae blankets ( partly ) got too heavy and fell off again :(
    And then the water started to creep between the algae and the mesh, so more came off. I decided to clean most of it away and make a fresh start.

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

How many days did you let it grow before that started happening?

3. emil_arvidsson

30 days +
    Only swept palm over screen, and rinsed the pipe.

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

You will want to do that palm swipe at least every 14 days, you don't want to allow any unwanted algae to remain on the screen for very long. You can actually do that palm-swipe a couple times a week. If you didn't touch the screen for 30+ days, I think that would explain why you had that detachment.

5. emil_arvidsson

I actually did that twice a week :(

6. emil_arvidsson

So screens filling up nicely with algae again. Let’s see what happens this time :)

Turbo likes this.
  7. emil_arvidsson

I get like airbubbles between the algae and the screen. Many that’s one of the reasons for the detachment. I’ll try to carefully puncture them with a needle and see what happens. Posting pics with next cleaning and see what you guys think.

8. Turbo

That could be oxygen production getting trapped in a pocket. It's kind of odd how that can happen but I've seen it more than once.

What I would do is just shut off the flow and allow the algae mat to flatten out a couple times a week. You could also take it out and give it a palm-swipe & rinse a couple times a week. I suppose you could have an area of the screen with very little growth, so there's nothing to prevent an air pocket from forming, and the pocket forming prevents growth from filling in at that area of the screen, so it's a vicious circle. Once it fills in, you shouldn't have that issue anymore.

Just a theory on that whole vicious circle thing...but it kind of makes sense