1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Algae eating snails

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TbyZ, Mar 1, 2017.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. TbyZ

TbyZ Member

In a system utilising an algae scrubber, where there is no algae in the display or sump, do larger snails, & other larger critters, tend to migrate to the scrubber for a feed, blocking slots & / or water-feed pipes?

Is it a better option to avoid larger clean up crew critters when using a scrubber?

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I think CUCs are a bit oversold. Even without a scrubber...one of our local club members who also used to own a store has told me that most recommendations are about 10x oversized (by the companies that sell them, of course)

In my own tanks, I've had very little luck with keeping snails alive long term. They just die off it seems. I'm not a big fan of snails. Crabs seem to be ok, and they tend to kill the snails anyways, but I can't remember the last time I saw an active crab in my tank. I do have bristleworms and starfish, a couple of those big serpent tiger striped ones in one tank, brittle stars in another, if you ask me those guys do a bang-up job by themselves

TbyZ likes this.
  3. trivodi

trivodi Member

USA
    You are not going to get any snails in your scrubber. They just don't go there