1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Algae inside pvc pipe

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by hodges, Jan 5, 2016.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. hodges

hodges New Member

Utah
    Will something as simple as this work?
    I have a 22" tall tank.
    1 inch PVC pipe with airstone running from the bottom. Insert a submersible bright white LED tube into the pvc pipe. Algae grow inside the pvc pipe and 1 inch pvc pipe won't look so ugly inside the tank. Is it too small to be any use?
    Thanks

2. Matt Berry

Matt Berry Active Member Trusted Member

What light are you wanting to submerse? It'll need to be a warm light (lots of red) for half decent growth.
    It's also possible that the light is too bright as it's so close to the screen, can you dim it if needed?
    It'd be fairly difficult to clean, but in theory it should work. I think it's much better to build a waterfall scrubber if you can. If not, a standard upflow scrubber would be better IMO.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  3. hodges

hodges New Member

Utah
    Thank you,
    It is for freshwater. Looks like too bright will be the issue. I'll work on the standard upflow.

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Maybe use a larger pipe, like 6". Might work, but the growth surface will be the tricky part.