1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Algae scrubber and a Herbie over flow

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by xrayjeeper83, Feb 7, 2016.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. xrayjeeper83

xrayjeeper83 New Member

Jax,Fl
    I'm building a 65g tank, I really want to run a Herbie overflow but also want to run my AS right off the overflow. Can anyone help me out as to if its possible and any tips to setting it up?

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

It works well because the emergency drain can take the excess flow if the scrubber growth slows the flow down a bit. The slot doesn't let air intrude into the siphon line because it's not a wide open pipe. The emergency also serves the purpose it's made for in the event of a clog. This all assumes you set it up properly of course.

Without a Herbie or BeanAnimal overflow, you would either want a second drain that (ideally) can handle 100% flow on it's own, or have a bypass setup of some kind (that does not allow the system to siphon back when not intended)

Clog Prevention

3. xrayjeeper83

xrayjeeper83 New Member

Jax,Fl
    Awesome, I plan on using a 3/4 pipe for the main drain and a 1" for the emergabcy sonit should handle all the flow no problems