1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Filtration Algae scrubber doing too well?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SillySanj, Aug 7, 2018.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. SillySanj

SillySanj Member Customer

Hey Bud,

Hope you're doing well.

Bit of a dilemma I have.

I think my scrubber is a little bit too efficient as I believe (and I could be completely wrong on this) I don't see much growth and wondering if this could be dodo with low phosphates?
    It's a wild guess as I've done a ATI ICP test (see below) and apart from metals in water column (still to be located as checked everything in sump/tank and water from RO machine also checks out OK)

Tank build is a 5 x 2 x 2 with mixture of SPS/LPA and softies and only homing 4 fish and CUC so bioload is light.
    Filtration is BK 180Slim and Turbo LED HF rev 4 scrubber

Dosing regime is ATO Essentials 123 @ 72ml per day per regent.

Feeding is 2 frozen cubes once lunch and sprinkle of fish food grans in evening.

As i want to increase the PO4, would a mixture of dimming down the lights and also feed more help?

As you can see below, the algae in scrubber is good and green.

I understand that there could be a number of causes for my PO4 depletion but only can see the great scrubber.

DSC_0084.png DSC_0085.png

Attached Files:

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

As long as you continue to feed, you'll have phosphates in the water column all the time, it's in all food/living things.

I don't see anything startling about your readings, and your growth looks good. Or am I missing something?

3. SillySanj

SillySanj Member Customer

Hey Bud, apologies for the late response.

Well, few things happening in tank that caused a number of problems later on.

My phosphates and nitrates ran for almost near enough 0.0 and this caused a few outbreaks of cyno and dinos. Can't be 100% sure the lack of any nutrients caused it but with only running a skimmer and your great scrubber, I can only think of this.

Now for the silly issue, I started to dose phyto and sadly overdosed the amount I should on a daily basis and this caused high nitrates over some time. A 120 litre water change this weekend hopefully to see if I can get my nitrates down from 50-75 (Salifert test kit) down to a respectful 5-10. Only reason I need nitrates in tank is that since I had some, a lot of my corals are opening up and growing compared to when I hadn't any.