1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Algae Scrubber...what more do I need?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TbyZ, Jul 16, 2016.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. TbyZ

TbyZ Member

I'm running a new scrubber on a reef tank with softies, LPS & tangs.
    NO3 is 0.25ppm & PO4 < 0.03
    The scrubber has two screens, both with a surface area equal to the cube equivalent of food I feed the tank daily. I have no other filtration, other than live rock.
    After reading this thread Algae and Reefs
    I would like to ask, what other filtration should I be using & why?

Thanks for any feedback

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

With softies and LPS you probably don't have much to worry about, but if you get into SPS then what I generally recommend is pairing a scrubber with an undersized skimmer (smaller than what "they" recommend for your size tank) and/or carbon (smaller amount, changed more frequently.

My preferred alternative to carbon is Purigen and I got a few Avast Spyglass reactors to try it out, I love Purigen but it's a pain to make it effective. The spyglass reactors fix that.

Can you post exact specs and maybe a pic?

3. TbyZ

TbyZ Member

Thanks for the reply Turbo.

I've changed how I filtered the tank, gradually over a few weeks, to the double screen scrubber method with no other filtration except live rock.
    My tank has been running for 4 years & I have had real issues with NO3 & PO4.

The tank is only a 180 litre, no sand bed
    Previous set up - plenty of live rock, Marine Pure block 8 x 4, skimmer, carbon, poly filter, mechanical filtration pads.

I've built a few scrubbers of various styles over the years & a year ago built a waterfall type & added it to the system with great results.
    I built a much improved second waterfall scrubber & installed it nine weeks ago. Once the screens were growing I removed the skimmer after three weeks, no carbon of poly filter after 4 weeks. NO3 had been steady at around 5ppm, then at eight weeks I removed the Marine Pure block from the sump.
    Four days later NO3 had fallen to 0.25ppm (RedSea test kit).

As I intend to run a scrubber only system your thread Algae and Reefs caught my eye.

I understand what skimmers & carbon achieve but even with sps why would they be necessary with efficienty scrubbing?
    And what "chemical warfare" does growing algae create?

Feed tank about two cubes daily.
    Screens = 6 x 4 by two
    flow 1100 litres / hour over each screen
    5 LEDs 660nm each side, total 14watts

Growth on one screen after 7 weeks
    the hole in the centre dissappeared a few days after upping the flow
    20160629_153945.jpg

20160223_145428.jpg

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Man that screen looks like a square doughnut!!

It's odd that you would get that with only 660s

Nice tank!

5. TbyZ

TbyZ Member

The 'hole'(s) were due to a lack of flow & both screens now have complete coverage