I just wanted to share a new experience I'm going through with my latest tank. This one doesn't have an ATS but it does have a bio-pellet reactor and macro algae. With the old tank, I had a large ATS and I could dump massive amounts of food into the water on a daily basis. I even had a small freezer with frozen DIY fish food auto feeding my tank once every three hours. Sometimes I would over feed to the point that I could cause an ammonia spike to around .5. Within 24 hours my ATS would pull that ammonia out of the water and my reading would drop right back down to 0 by the next day. I didn't think much of it but my water quality was usually great. Fast forward a year later to my new tank with GFO and bio-pellets. I wanted to go mainstream right? My Instant Ocean salt has some organics in it and as a result my salt water mix has about a .5 ammonia reading. I add that mixed water to my new tank and the ammonia shows up in my tank at that .5 level. I think, no big deal, it will be gone within 24 hours. Well, what a surprise to learn that a healthy amount of matured bio pellets and the bacteria they produce aren't really able to consume that ammonia nearly as fast as that old ATS did. I even have some macro algae growing in my fuge and that apparently isn't able to consume the ammonia within 24 hours either. Oh well, I think I was spoiled with my old ATS. I may have to add one back to this new system just to get back that safety net. Go Turbo!