1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

As Seen on LA Fishguys!

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by Turbo, Nov 26, 2012.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

My original (Rev 1) L2 Algae Scrubber was recently featured on the LA Fishguys YouTube Channel.

This version has been superseded by the Turbo L2, which is the second revision of the L2. It has a different heat sink and smaller overall profile. The Rev 1 and Rev 2 are otherwise the same device.

If you found this site via the LA Fishguys video and are interested in learning more about Algae Scrubbers, please register and introduce yourself!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  2. Kerry

Kerry Member Trusted Member Customer

Awesome publicity Bud!!! Very nice.

3. zmoose

zmoose New Member

I watched all four parts but I'm curious if there are more episodes that show water parameters.

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I'm sure he will film a follow-up episode at some point, but several episodes down the road.

5. srusso

srusso New Member Trusted Member

Can't wait to see results!

6. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

Not much finesse in his cleaning procedure. Sure the L2 will do fine though. I'm guessing there'll be loads of green soon.

7. crashmushroom

crashmushroom Member Customer

No and i like the powers sockets below the sump :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

8. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

I wish someone told him to let the scrubber grow.. He keeps talking about cleaning weekly...

Someone should say.. hey LA fish guy, let the algae grow!

9. Turbo

You really should clean every week, even if it's just to clear the slot and scrub the top edge of the screen. His latest report is that he is getting a mat of emerald green algae.

10. Kerry

Kerry Member Trusted Member Customer

I clean the slot and about the first 1-1.5" of the screen weekly, then every two I do it all.

11. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

Yea i clear the slot when i notice im getting bubbles from tge drain.. that tells me flow has slowed down.. but the agae i let go till its 3d

12. Turbo

That's a good method to use to gauge the growth. I never though about that. For anyone wondering what we're talking about here, the Lx series of scrubbers is designed so that you can put a gate valve or ball valve on the bottom drain so that it doesn't suck air and create bubbles. Basically you are 'tuning' the drain, similar to a tuned siphon line on a BeanAnimal or Herbie siphon. So the drain flow rate matches (or is actually a bit less) than the pump/supply flow rate. When algae grows into the slot pipe, it will create additional head pressure which will slow down the flow. This causes the "tuning point" of the drain to become skewed and the drain will flow faster than the input flow, causing air to get sucked into the drain and thus bubbles in the sump. Cleaning the screen/pipe "resets" everything.

I'll have to make this part of the FAQs