1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATS Effective for an african cichlid tank?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by baddiesel, Feb 22, 2014.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. baddiesel

baddiesel Member Customer

Has anyone implemented an ATS for freshwater use. Thought about setting up an african cichlid tank. I appreciate any info/comments, thanks in advance.

2. baddiesel

Anyone?........Nobody know's if an ATS can be used in a freshwater aquarium setup?

3. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

Should work. I had a lake Malawi cichlid tank many moons ago and to be honest they did great with very few water changes and lots of neglect, they seemed to be bullet proof. Perhaps they would have done even better with a scrubber :)

4. baddiesel

Thanks Garf, I appreciate your response!!!

5. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I have one customer with 3 scrubbers all on FW tanks, cichlids being one. It grows a bit different, I think you have to harvest more often or else it detaches, and use of a filter sock on the drain is a good idea.

6. baddiesel

Thanks Turbo!!!. I'm just researching some, not for sure I'll build one of these setups. There's some very beautiful fish in Africa, and you can put a bunch of 'em in a tank. I thought you should be able to use an ATS for freshwater aquaria, algae is algae, and it loves nutients.

7. Kerry

Kerry Member Trusted Member Customer

I had Oscars in my 150G before I converted it to SW with a scrubber. It works but not near as efficient as my SW do. I had to run two screens, yes double of what I did with SW. I went from weekly water changes @ 50% to montly @ 50%. It helped but I was unable to be almost free of water changes like with the SW scrubbers.

8. baddiesel

Thanks for your response, I don't think I'll be tackling the african cichlids quite soon yet, but at least I have an understanding that the algae turf scrubber helps in the fresh water community as well. Thanks again for responding.

9. Kerry

Kerry Member Trusted Member Customer

You are very welcome.

10. tebo

tebo Member

My first ats was mounted in an aquarium of African cilidos the best results before seen by me, 0 water changes and parameters to excellent, by the way you give the algae to fish and they eat with the taste

regards

11. jungleboy

jungleboy New Member

I have a algae scrubber on my 75 gallon community. I have no water changes and it grows like crazy! You have to scrape it very week or it goes all over