1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATS For 120 Gallon Tank.

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by abhi, Jun 13, 2015.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

You can probably dim them down to around 50% on the PWM signal, maybe a bit less, and run 12 hours

2. abhi

abhi Member

India
    Ok.will do. BTW any idea for how many days my ATS will take to reduce the NO3 and PO4 to untraceable level.

My hand are itching to add corals

3. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Reefkeeping is a game of patience. It takes 6-12 months for a reef tank to get established.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/eb/

But let me back up a bit: You started the tank about 2 or 3 months ago, correct?

What is in the tank now? Any fish, live rock, etc?

How did you cycle the tank?

After you finished the nitrogen cycle, did you perform any water changes?

4. abhi

abhi Member

India
    My tank is 1.5 month old and recently added fishes and having dead rocks seeded with live rocks.

I haven't done any water change yet just top up of the loss water due to evaporation.

5. Turbo

There are a lot of things going on in a new tank, but especially a saltwater tank. There are many chemicals and compounds that we can't easily test for, as a hobbyist. So I would read that article, it gives you a very realistic timeline of what to expect. You can add some corals, but make them "easy" ones, and definitely not expensive corals. Make sure that you are able to maintain stable levels of Alk, Cal, and Mag over a long term before you think about moving on to more challenging corals.

If you rush into it, chances are you're going to rush out of it also - because rushing things in this hobby often leads to failure, which = empty wallet and nothing to show for it, which is very much bad!

6. Joel

Joel Member Customer

Texas
    If you want to get something, get an easy softie, maybe some xenia or something, check local forums for cheap/free frags. Lots of people throw out fast growing softies.

7. abhi

abhi Member

India
    So today i can see some green algae growing on the rocks as well as on substrate. i had started my tank lights last week and also dosed bacteria.As the Algae is growing on the rocks does it means now the conditions are ideal for it to grow on the screen also?

8. Turbo

This is something you can probably expect as part of the maturing of the tank, it's noted in that Reefkeeping Magazine article. I don't know if I would say that it means conditions are "ideal" for scrubber growth, it just tells you that you should not have a lot of trouble growing algae on your scrubber because it's definitely present in the system

9. abhi

abhi Member

India
    Yeah this is what i want to hear so this means nitrates will start to decrease now as algae will start consuming it. currently my salifert kit is showing it @50 where as bugger API @ 0.

10. Turbo

API Nitrate kit is finicky, you have to make sure that you shake that #2 bottle hard for 30-60 seconds and then follow directions to a T. Also if it's expired then throw it out.

11. abhi

abhi Member

India
    That is why i bought the salifert kits.

Adding Bio Bacteria also helps in maturing of screen.

12. Turbo

I can't say that I agree with this completely. The best thing for a tank is just time. Livestock that are fed good foods will produce waste (urea, etc) and this is the fuel source for algae, either directly or indirectly (after bacterial digestion).

13. abhi

abhi Member

India
    An update. My rocks and glass is covered with algae now. The algae is however quite easy to remove and i can easily remove it from the glass by using my finger only.

I am confused whether this Algae is a variety of hair algae or a cyano. One thing which I noticed is that this algae spike happened after the addition of Prodibio Biodigest and bioptim.

My ATS is slowly but surely is growing the algae though I have some trouble in distributing the flow equally across the screen but still Algae is growing but these rocks covered with algae is eye Soring.

14. Turbo

You have to let the periphyton develop. The algae bloom is sometimes part of that process.

You mentioned that you used "dead rock" seeded with live rock. Where did you get the dead rock from? Was it dried out from a previous tank, etc...this might matter.

How much of each type of rock (pounds) do you have?

15. abhi

abhi Member

India
    Yeah rocks was totally dried up. Using around 80 pound of dead rocks and 10 pound of live rocks.

16. abhi

abhi Member

India
    Yes Bud it is periphyton only which is growing. Should I leave at if is and wait for it complete it cycle?

It is difficult to remove from rocks though.

17. Turbo

But, what was the original source of the dry/dead rock? An old tank? Bought off craigslist?

Had it been acid soaked, powerwashed, etc?

80 lb of unknown origin dry rock could be anything. You could have bound up waste that needs to be leeched out which can take months. The most comon way to eliminate this unknown is "cooking" the rock, are you familiar with that term?

18. abhi

abhi Member

India
    The rocks which i got are directly from the ocean supplied to me by the lfs after drying them out.I Cant comment whether they are power washed or not.

19. Turbo

If they were ocean harvested and then dried out, there's probably a ton of life that died off in the drying process and now all that dead life is being leeched out.

There's a big difference between clean dry rock and dead live rock.

Have you ever heard of the process of "cooking" live rock? In case you have not, it is not putting your LR in boiling water. It's a multiple-month process by where you cure the rock for use in a reef tank. If you haven't done this, you are looking at several months of algae growth in the tank. There's really not a whole lot you can do about that either because the rock is full of "fuel" for the algae. You can build an aggressive scrubber to try and keep the water N and P really low, and this will speed up the process, but that doesn't remove the fuel, you just have to burn it out and that takes time.

20. Joel

Joel Member Customer

Texas
    Leave your algae scrubber on the setting recommended by bud, turn off your display lights and stop feeding your tank. Leave it like that for a month and see how the algae in the display is looking and how much the scrubber is growing.