1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATS For 120 Gallon Tank.

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by abhi, Jun 13, 2015.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. abhi

abhi Member

India
    Hello,

An update I can see algae started to grow on the screen quite rapidly now. I am doing weekly maintainence of the screen as of now to trigger the growth.

Also I add few turbo snail and hermit crabs and they are doing they job of eating the algae of the rock very efficiently but no3 is not reducing that is the concern.

Turbo likes this.
  2. Joel

Joel Member Customer

Texas
    What are your nitrates and phosphates at? And how much do you feed a day?

Turbo likes this.
  3. abhi

abhi Member

India
    Currently NItrates are at 50 ppm where as Phosphate are around 0.10-0.25.

I am feeding one pinch of flake twice a day.

4. abhi

abhi Member

India
    An update. I see yellow coloured algae growing on the screen.

5. abhi

abhi Member

India
    Hello guys,

It's been 3 months that I have not updated. Well my po4 and nitrates are very much in control now & I can grow light green algae on the screen but the issue is the algae doesn't grow in the centre of the screen. It basically grows along the corner and on the top & bottom of screen middle centre portion is still very much naked and It makes me a little bit frustrated also.

What should I do to make algE cover up the whole screen? Also I am planning to get a mandarin very soon so is my ATS will produce enough pods for it?

Please reply.

Thanks

Abhishek

6. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

If N and P are under control (zero or very low) and you have no center growth that tells me you are lighting the screen for too long or with too much light, or both.

Have you changed your LED configuration at all?

How many hours/day do you run the LEDs?

What current do you run the LEDs at?

How often do you clean your screen?

7. abhi

abhi Member

India
    Hello,

I haven't changed the configuration of my led.
    I am using 11 660 nm Chinese led on both side of screen. Running them @ 600 ma.

Currently I am running them for 18 hours per day.

I clean my screen every Sunday.

Thanks

8. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Ah, that could be it - too many hours. Or, too intense.

I think you're over-lighting and this is causing photosaturation. I would back the hours down to 12-14. Or, if you can parallel the two arrays or dim them, you could run 18 hours

9. abhi

abhi Member

India
    I have a option of reducing the intensity of led to just half. Have Meanwell LDD 350H with me but I will reduce the photo period for a time will now run my lights for 12-14 hours max.

One more thing when it can be assume that my ATS is producing enough pods to feed one scooter or dragonet?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  10. abhi

abhi Member

India
    Hi all

Well my ATS is working quite fine and I have to clean the screen every week but due to some of my business trips I was out of the town for a month or so. Due to some power cuts and other issue my ATS was having problem of water feeding from main tank which results in some hair algae started to grow in the main tank only though I rectify water feeding problem but looks like algae has got his hold on few rocks specially.

I have tested the no3 and po4 of my tank after this and finds both the value at zero now my concern is whether my ATS will be able to clear the algae from the display tank or I have to employ some other method?

My photo period of ATS is 14 hour currently & one of my friend advice me to dose some nitrate to balance the red field method so that po4 can be effectively removed from the tank.

What should I do?

11. Turbo

Personally, I would not dose anything to try and get the scrubber going, that is really a last ditch effort.

What may be happening is that as you fix a nutrient issue in the system, the rocks and sand start to leech out various compounds and algae grows based on that. I've seen this happen and although the exact mechanism is debatable, it does happen and is usually a phase.

Sorry for the delayed reply, I've been out of town on vacation since Saturday & only occasionally checking messages....

12. abhi

abhi Member

India
    Ok so this means I need not to worry. It will be clear with a time?

What to do with the algae growing on the rocks should I remove it manually or wait for it to go of its own?

Thanks

13. Turbo

You can try to remove it manually, but that may be difficult depending on the type of growth. Scrubbing it with a brush seems like a good way but it's not - that messes with the bacteria on the surface of the rock, essentially causing mini-cycles. the best method is minimal interference and allowing time for the issue to get fixed.

Not sure if I posted this in this thread yet or not - my favorite link, go to Myth #15: Mything the Point, Part Three: Conclusion - Reefkeeping.com

Time & patience is a big factor

14. abhi

abhi Member

India
    Good. Giving it time to get clear it off of its own

15. abhi

abhi Member

India
    One thing which is bothering me. What type of nutrient are released by the rocks?

My current photo period of ATS is 18 hours and that of the tank is 10 hour out of which 4 hour is of actinic should I further increase the photo period of ATS and decrease the tank?

This algae growing on rocks is not a good sight for my eyes I want to eliminate ASAP.

16. Turbo

Nitrate and Phosphate, possibly others, essentially detritus buildup. How long has your tank been set up? Pics of tank and scrubber setup?