1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ats, O2 and CO2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Broken, Jan 22, 2017.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Broken

Broken New Member

Iran
    hi,
    first question: in a planted tank can a ats system provide oxygen and and CO2 for the main tank if we set the light times opposite (18h ats - 6h tank)?
    second question: do we need another biological media when using ats or just ats is enough?
    last question; is it right to use ats in a planted tank?
    thanks in advance.

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

In a planted tank, you can run a scrubber but it is a delicate balance if you want to maintain nutrients for the plants, unless the plants derive nutrients primarily through the roots and you use substrate to provide that

The scrubbber would offgas CO2, it adds O2 but consumes CO2, the reverse with lights off but much lower rate

FW scrubbers can often require long and intense photoperiod to be effective.

Broken likes this.
  3. Broken

Broken New Member

Iran
    thx, what about biological filters, ats is enough to remove amoniac, nitrite and nitrate?
    when a ats system comes to its full capacity?

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

It depends on the size of the screen and the bioload of the system

Broken likes this.
  5. Broken

Broken New Member

Iran
    in the ATS basics you mentioned 12sq/in for one cube food per day with .5W led per 1sq/in.
    so in my case with a heavily planted 70 liter tank 48sq/in screen with 24W led on one side only and 2000lph flow rate is enough?

6. Turbo

Well let's start with your end goal - what is that?

Since it's planted, I'm just guessing. I haven't ran a scrubber on a planted tank, let alone a FW tank for that matter. So there's that.

But I have ran a planted tank in the past, and a pretty rockin' one at that.

So is your purpose behind running the scrubber to battle tank algae that is interfering with plant growth?

What is your tank size and livestock list?

Pics?

Broken likes this.
  7. Broken

Broken New Member

Iran
    im just researching and not started the tank yet, the tank i have in my mind is 70 liter with bean animal overflow. right now i have an 120 liter fresh water (fish and plants) aquarium with dsb (deep sand bed) system to fight algae but it's not that effective so i wanna start a new tank with plants (no fish) and no algae with help of dsb...
    appreciate your help.

8. Turbo

I don't know much about how a DSB is supposed to work in a FW tank - is that supposed to provide some denitrification? I'm not sure it works that way in FW...

9. Broken

Broken New Member

Iran
    it's a sand bed for anaerobic bacteria to control nitrate

10. Turbo

I know what a DSB is, I just didn't think people used them in FW tanks

11. Broken

Broken New Member

Iran
    doesn't matter anaerobic bacteria exist in both fw and salt water as you know...
    there are some good articles about using dsb in fresh water on the web.
    but it can't compete dsb system yet easier to setup.