1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attention Tapatalk Users: Try the mobile browser version please!

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by Turbo, Aug 27, 2015.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

A recent update to the "core" style that is in use here included a Mobile Menu that is pretty slick. If you haven't tried using the mobile browser version of this site, please give it a shot!

The reason I am bringing this up is because I am seriously considering removing Tapatalk. While I haven't personally had any major issue with it (from the perspective of a site administrator) it is reportedly horribly coded and there appear to be a lot of security-related concerns. They have done things like e-mailing all the users on a forum after it's installed (i.e. they "obtain" email addresses of forum users after the addon is installed, then email them) and then they create new ways to "connect with users" and implement these as opt-out (meaning, all of the sudden e-mails start going out vs the site admin to opt-in before allowing this).

I have had instances where I change my password, and the app keeps me logged in...for days!

Xenforo now has 2-Factor Authentication available as an optional second layer of security. I haven't tested to see if Tapatalk bypasses this yet.

Also, some things do not work correctly in Tapatalk, such as the Resource section (which has tabs for discussion, reviews, updates, the resource itself, etc) and now a new Classifieds section (yet to be configured, but I guarantee you this one won't work in Tapatalk).

The ONLY thing that you can't get without Tapatalk is Push Notifications, and it's really the only thing I keep it around for honestly Actually, there is a Xenforo addon for Push Notifications, but that means another app you have to download, and it's one that I would have to pay for in order for it to be used by the end users.