1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B.a.d.a.s.s.

Discussion in 'Experimental Scrubber Concepts' started by Garf, Jun 13, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

My Benthic All Dimensional Algae Surge Scrubber;

This scrubber is the latest attempt at increasing scrubber efficiency with regard to pulsed flow;
    http://algaescrubber.net/forums/showthread.php?2731-Pulsed-flow

Using a horizontal screen in regard to this test;
    http://algaescrubber.net/forums/showthread.php?2756-Garfs-Horizontally-Opposed-Scrubber-Test

And shall be monitored in the same manner as this thread;
    http://algaescrubber.net/forums/showthread.php?2733-Quantifying-Biomass

If anyone would like me to start separate topics for these on this site, just say and I will be happy to if requested.

Day one;

Screen;
    [​IMG]

Syphon activation point;
    [​IMG]

Low level (gurgle point)
    [​IMG]

2. Garf

This one works on the principal first documented by Walter Adey, that algae grows faster when exposed to pulsed flow. The pulsed flow is maintained by a surge pipe around the back which intermittently discharges to the display via a syphon. The swaying back and forward tends to expose more of the algae to the light (it is thought). Initial feed to the tank is supplied by the sump return pump. Just got a 23w 2700k cfl on it for now. The cable ties provide 3D attachment points which should then repopulate the water column faster than conventional screens. They also provide resistance to flow and therefore forces the water past the algae instead of the algae just moving with the pulse. This should again increase photosynthesis.

3. Garf

The 5th day;

[​IMG]

4. Garf

Day 8;

[​IMG]

5. Garf

Day 9 and the GHA is taking hold on the cable ties;

[​IMG]

6. Garf

Day 15 and the growth has reached the low water surface (2 inch depth) and some pods are enjoying themselves

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Garf

Day 18;

[​IMG]

8. Garf

Day 19, drained via the adjustable height screen just prior to harvest. No need to take the screen out;

[​IMG]

Now, we will see if the seeded cable ties and base actually speed the process up a bit! This harvest 29 grammes (squeezed), 30 sq inch screen, 19 days. (0.051 g/sq inch/day)

[​IMG]

9. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Now the question becomes, how well does it filter, right?

Need to recap the "quantifying biomass" thread here also.

In case anyone is not paying attention, Garf got the ban stick on www.algaescrubber.net for being a jerk.

10. Garf

Gonna be measuring the filter ability by a direct comparison with my bubbly waterfall. I have referenced the "quantifying biomass thread" in post #1. The ban stick - yep, guess the picture of the trash can posted on his UAS sales pitch was the straw that broke the camels back. I like facts, not fiction :)

11. Ace25

Ace25 Member Trusted Member

More like speaking the truth with a picture. ;) I admit, I LOL'd at the trash can picture because I feel that is where the HOG belongs. I like facts as well... and that is something I have found severely lacking out of any of SM's posts. If he would tell the truth and not over exaggerate everything he would probably quadruple his sales, but as we have all seen on AS and RC, he says the dumbest things and when people smarter than him call him out and show him he is wrong he will never admit it. To this day he still claims 'LEDs are experimental only and not good enough for growth', yet he now uses LEDs on his products. Sorry, really didn't mean to go so off topic but SM is like nails on a chalkboard to me, just irritates the *&%@ out of me.

12. Garf

24hrs after first harvest;

[​IMG]

13. Ace25

Ace25 Member Trusted Member

Odd, this website/forum doesn't work properly with IE 10.. had to use Chrome to be able to post a reply (not that it is a big deal, I hate IE).

Garf, did you ever get a video made showing this in action? I still can't picture how the flood/drain part works.

14. Garf

Well I would but YouTube and photo bucket are playing silly buggers at the minute.

15. Garf

[​IMG]

the yellow pipe is just an emergency drain. The pipe on the right is the external surge pipe. If the principle works as I expect, I'll be replacing that with a larger diameter pipe, and increasing the feed pump to speed up the filling/drain process (takes between 1.5 and 2 minutes to complete a cycle at present).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
  16. sabbath

sabbath Member Trusted Member Customer

Thats is cool!
    How are you getting the water level to go up and down?

17. Garf

Hi sabbath. The water is fed by the sump return (UP) then siphoned out through a surge pipe (DOWN)

Harvest + 48hrs

[​IMG]

18. Garf

1st harvest + 72hrs

[​IMG]

19. sabbath

sabbath Member Trusted Member Customer

Welcome to the jungle!
    Okay maybe it looks more like a rain forest.
    B.a.d.a.s.s rain forest?

Sent from my mobile

Don

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  20. Garf

:)

4 days after 1st harvest

[​IMG]