1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B.a.d.a.s.s.

Discussion in 'Experimental Scrubber Concepts' started by Garf, Jun 13, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

Harvest + 6 days

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

What are those orange things on the zip ties?

3. Garf

I've tried to get a close up photo, but they are too small at this time. Got a feeling it's turf, but not positive. They are dark red when out of the water.

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I know why, I need to upgrade the forum engine to vB4.2.1 which just came out, it's a full upgrade, not a patch, so I will need to shut the site down for an hour or so to do it. It actually just forces IE10 to run in IE9 compatibility mode.

5. Ace25

Ace25 Member Trusted Member

Foraminiferans?

6. Garf

Had another failed photographic session today and they certainly don't look algae like, not clued up on Foraminiferans though.

7. Ace25

Ace25 Member Trusted Member

I have seen the little red spikey things in my tanks for years and didn't know what they were until I got into collecting Leopard Wrasses and found out that is a food source for them. Obviously I can't tell for sure from the picture if that is what they are but that is what they reminded me of.

8. Garf

Decided to harvest @ day 8 because it looked as full as previous;

[​IMG][​IMG]

The algae is stuck really well to most surfaces, so much so that after harvest I still had this much left in;

[​IMG]

Now, whether that proves to be good or bad, we'll see I guess; this harvested amount was 16g, so thats 0.067g/I/d

9. Rumpy Pumpy

Rumpy Pumpy Member Trusted Member

UK
    Hi guys, my first post here.

I'm trying to achieve a similar effect to this by a different method at the moment.

Created a area of sump with some plastic canvas & chunks of rock, flow provided by inlet from DT (air & water mix) and two little powerheads with venturis. Lit from above by a couple of 15w CFL spots (will be replaced with 2 x 15w led grow bulbs soon)

The idea is to grow 3D algae as a type of refugium to allow pods etc to proliferate and also to export nutrients by periodic harvesting.

If it doesn't work I might try out Garfs idea instead.

(I'll post up a vid of mine later in case anyone's interested)

10. Garf

On this system there definately seems to be a benefit of having the water two inches deep which tends to go against other stuff I've read about horizontal screens, and as long as the light is good with enough flow I don't see why any horizontal should not work. This cycle I had lots of pods crawling all over the place. I think the pod thing could be a bit tricky in a sump version without a surge as this system flushes the mysids out (I've seen this happen), whereas if left with the pods they tend to eat them, have a small population bloom, then die out in a "Boom and Bust" cycle.

Rumpy Pumpy - are you going to try the cable tie idea?

BTW - if I can get this version upto the output levels obtained by my waterfall, a sump version of the Badass is next on my list ;)

Edit - not a clue how the mysids get into this little tank via the sump pump, but they do occassionally.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  11. Rumpy Pumpy

UK

I think I could live with that, as long as there is production of some little bugs for fish to snack on then that'll do.

I haven't yet, but I probably will. I also thought of getting some plastic tubing lengths (air line), roughing it up (maybe by rolling it in silicon followed by sand) and then shoving them over the top of the cable ties, which would provide a bit more surface area and a rougher texture. That said, yours seem to be growing pretty well as it is.

Here's the vid of it so far, this is day 1 (although the canvas was from a previous scrubber so already green)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
  12. Rumpy Pumpy

UK
    Tried to reply to this yesterday but the site said I needed moderator approval. Which seems odd since I was able to post before.

Anyway, no I'm not using cable ties yet, although I probably will. Had an idea to use some cut off lengths of air line, rolled in silicon and sand and then placed over the cable ties to increase the surface area and roughness. Not sure if the silicon would stick sufficiently to the air line material though.

Here's a short vid of what I have so far. The canvas was already green.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
  13. Turbo

Sorry Rumpy, that was the anti-spam blocker program. If you have a low post count, then post a link, it moderates it. So far there hasn't been any issues with erroneous links so I may knock that down a notch.

14. Garf

Second harvest + 1 day;

[​IMG]

+ 2 days;

[​IMG]

+ 3 days;

[​IMG]

15. Turbo

I see an animated GIF montage coming...........

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2013
  16. Rumpy Pumpy

UK

No problem. I guessed it would be something like that

17. Garf

+ 4 days;

[​IMG]

+ 5 days;

[​IMG]

+ 6 days;

[​IMG]

18. Garf

Harvested 20 grammes, that's 0.095 g/i/d at 7 days :)

[​IMG]

19. Rumpy Pumpy

UK
    I think the concept is proved.

When are you going to build a big one?