1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B.a.d.a.s.s.

Discussion in 'Experimental Scrubber Concepts' started by Garf, Jun 13, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

Gonna do one, hush, hush. Otherwise Bryan will claim the credit. Tossa :)

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Heh heh I used to watch a lot of Python do I know what that means!!

3. Ace25

Ace25 Member Trusted Member

Garf, when you get a good design that you won't mind me copying/making just for my personal use do you think I could get a PM? I am very interested in trying this method out. I completely understand not wanting to post it publicly.

4. Garf

There won't be any need for PMs Ace. You know me. If I get to the stage (I like to test and prove my ideas, unlike some) where the large sump version comes to fruition, there will be a festival of pictures on here. I've also got an LED grow bulb on the slow boat from China on its way to me, to further improve things. :)

5. Garf

Ok, the wife has set up a water barrel pond thing. Ive done the circulation with a 1700ltr return pump, piped into a large diameter outlet;

What's the thoughts about using the wave effect in place of the surge system if the Badass goes large. Think I'm gonna try a similar version in my display to get the glimmer lines.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
  6. Rumpy Pumpy

Rumpy Pumpy Member Trusted Member

UK

Really? So do I (x2 in fact)

Is it the 15w one on Ebay?

7. Garf

27w, so almost equal to yours :)

8. Rumpy Pumpy

UK

If you look at where most attached algae grows in nature, it seems to be where their is movement of and mixture of water & air (i.e. where waves meet the land)

So yeah, I reckon that'd be good.

9. Rumpy Pumpy

UK

Blimey! That's a big un!

Where'd you find that & how much?

10. Garf

The bay, £30 with delivery.

11. Rumpy Pumpy

UK

Just seen em.

Odd, when I looked the biggest I could find was the 15w.

Think I paid 15 quid for 2 del'

12. Garf

Dunno if you've seen this pic posted by Bryan or Iris or whoever it is, of the surf 2;

[​IMG]

To me it seems as the light isn't powerful enough to reach the green grabber at the bottom (the "growth" seems to eminate from the sides). With any luck the badass will not suffer from this. The way the badass is built allows me to visually inspect the light reaching the base of the screen and with the cfl at 4 days there is no light reaching the screen surface. I expect this to change with the LED so I can leave the screen longer between harvests. Hopefully this will increase the average harvest as it does with the waterfall.

13. Rumpy Pumpy

UK

Considered lighting it from the sides as well as above?

14. Garf

Considered, yes. However I'm cheap and don't think the benefit will outweigh the cost ;)

15. q8vw

q8vw New Member

Kuwait
    Hello Garf,

Very nice build can't wait to see the results.

I found something similar on YouTube:

(Forward to 3:20)

its a dump bucket style scrubber, but it takes large space and very noisy.

16. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

That's some killer growth in that first vid. 2 lb per week? crazy.

Yeah those are the original dump-bucket horizontal scrubbers that Dr. Walter Adey of the Smithsonian developed back in the 1980s. Around 2008 is when the user "Santa Monica" came up with the vertical screen. Garf's idea sort of comes back to the horizontal idea with a twist.

Thanks for sharing the vids.

17. Garf

9 day screen. POD CENTRAL;

18. Rumpy Pumpy

UK
    Started on the big one yet?

19. Garf

Not yet mate. Still waiting for my LEDs from china land. Got a 27watt (that I mentioned previously) and a 36watter on the way now. I want to see if the can penetrate through the growth to the substrate on the badass. Currently at 4 or 5 days, the algae at the screen surface is light limited with the cfl, I'm hoping this wont be the case with a proper light.

20. Pny

Pny Member

two inch? In the photo earlier in this thread it looks more like 3 to 4 inch...?