1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B.a.d.a.s.s.

Discussion in 'Experimental Scrubber Concepts' started by Garf, Jun 13, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

Yes it is :)

Initially when the growth was coming from the screen mesh, a two inch limit seemed to be evident. Now, the growth is starting from near the top of the cable ties, another two inch limit is evident. My plan is to get over the light limitation by adding some grow LEDS and therefore get 4 inches of algae growth, effectively doubling its efficiency (that's the plan anyway).

2. Garf

This is now a L.E.D. B.a.d.a.s.s.

27 watts of Growlight, day "0" (harvested);

[​IMG]

3. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Ahhh, the headache-causing magenta LED grow light!

Then when you look away..."Everything's so GREEEEEN!" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part I

4. Garf

This ones a 630nm and 450nm. Not the ultimate spectrum, but gotta be better than cfl's, surely! We will see. The 36 watter on its way from china is supposed to be a 660/450, so I will be able to see any difference. So far, if grown for 1 week, or 3 weeks, the growth rate appears to be the same (about 0.095g/I/d). That is different to waterfalls which appear to start slowly, accelerate till 28days, then drop off.

5. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

What do you mean by they accelerate and drop off?

6. Garf

From my tests there's a threshold of about 28 days. This threshold dictates where nutrients are being taken up by waterfall algae, or are being recycled by algae., probably due to light limitation. The light starved algae feed the newer growth, in essence. The threshold would therefore be dictated by light limitation, something I'm trying to get a grip on with the LEDS.

7. Turbo

Oh, so essentially the maximum growth time limit is what you are talking about? Wouldn't this to a large extent be dependent on the individual system/setup?

8. Garf

Totally dependant on the system I think, related to the light penetration reaching the screen.

I've edited out this post because it was just a ramble into weirdness :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  9. Garf

Just noticed, this light is the 36 watter, not the 27 watter I was expecting to be delivered first. Oops :)
    Edit - I must admit, this light is extremely bright, especially when you consider it only cost me £15, including delivery.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  10. Garf

Harvest + 24hrs;

[​IMG]

11. Garf

+ 48 hrs

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. Pny

Pny Member

Any news about the filtering aspect of your scrubber?

13. Garf

The growth mass seems to match my waterfall at the moment. I was hoping the LED growlight would push it passed the waterfall but it's early days yet. My Nitrate has dropped to its lowest point ever, but that may be contributed to the fact I'm running 3 types of scrubbers now to allow direct comparisons.

14. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

Phosphate?

15. Garf

Seems to Yo-Yo between barely detectable and 0.2. I've put this down to feeding lots of flake, maybe too much.

16. Garf

Forgot to post this one;

Immediately prior to last harvest, 21 days growth, 60 gramme squeezed harvest, ie same growth rate as previous but over an extended period;

[​IMG]

17. Ricky

You know garf I was thinking, of this and your waterfall achieve the same result, zero p and n, would'nt the waterfall be easier to clean and less complicated to set up?.. also less space?

18. Garf

Maybe :)

19. Ricky

Sorry couldn't resist.. lol

Attached Files:

20. Rumpy Pumpy

Rumpy Pumpy Member Trusted Member

UK
    [​IMG]

BAN HIM!