1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B.a.d.a.s.s.

Discussion in 'Experimental Scrubber Concepts' started by Garf, Jun 13, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

I set him up perfectly.. ha ha ha

2. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

He-he. That would make me a bit of a hypocrite, and suggest I have something to hide :)

3. Garf

First full week of LED Growlight;

[​IMG]

Harvest of 35g;

[​IMG]

That's 0.166 g/i/d. Or 70% higher than my waterfall at its most productive 28 day harvest. Or 250% higher than my waterfall when it's harvested at 8 days.

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I wonder if we should do away with the "per square inch" factor? Mass is all we really care about, right? grams/day of total overall growth?

5. Ace25

Ace25 Member Trusted Member

I thought all we cared about was filtering ability. I could care less if I can grow 10lbs of algae a week if my phosphates are still rising.

6. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

You just made me so happy ace.

I've been asking the same thing for months!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

7. I would think that unless you can measure total dissolved Phosphorous, then you are stuck measuring dry weight of algae removed. Otherwise, you might just be measuring the ability of the scrubber to facilitate the rapid conversion of inorganic phosphorous into organic (or some other dissolved forms that the test kit cannot measure).

So even though the scrubber is removing the measurable phosphate so quickly that you cannot measure any; you cannot be sure it's been incorporated into the algae biomass and not just converted to some other organic form that is not hobby test kit measure-able, and destined to be exported with the algae harvest.

8. Garf

Yep, and I ain't gonna prove that whilst using this small screen and a waterfall. I know that my waterfall keeps things fairly static, now it's time for a leap of faith. Whilst the floaty UAS scrubbers seem to alter the stoichiometry of algae to a lower nutrient content, ive convinced myself that this is not the case on the Badass.

9. Garf

That would force the evolutionary process of sticking screens on the sides of the Badass :)

10. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

That might also just be the case on your particular tank, but it's a pretty good case.

What I find most interesting is the low nutrient = high volume situation. Yet another one of my L2 customers is getting massive growth while running a skimmer and a recirculating biopellet reactor. They described it as "springy" growth, this is the type of growth I'm getting on the 40B with the L2 UAS on it, the kind where it's very difficult to "ball it up", when you squeeze it, it expands back to shape like a sponge. This algae grows like nuts once you get to low nutrients...

11. Ace25

So what is the point of the 'badass'? I thought the point of trying a surge setup was to see if using that method allowed the algae to filter the water better. If a surge setup that is 4"x4"x6" can filter better than a 10x10" screen, I will be the second person to build one on my systems, but if they offer no better filtration, no point in me changing anything.

12. Garf

Ace, I never claimed a tiny screen could replace a big un. This is a journey to see if pulsed flow/ high rate photosynthesis is a more effective natural filter than the "forced" uni-directional waterfall screens. If its no better on my tank,I will say so, have no fear of that.

13. Ace25

It isn't about 'screens', my quest is to find the smallest space needed to obtain the absolute best filtering ability. I have high hopes the surge method could cut the size down considerably if it proves to be able to filter more efficiently. To me the surge setup seems like it should be the best of the best as that is how it works in nature. The way algae grows on the waterfall method (flat/matted down) seems like there should be huge room for improvement.

So I think what Ricky and I are looking for is test results, not pictures of algae on a scale because that doesn't tell us anything. To be honest though, I think the only way we will know how well it works is if we just try it ourselves. Since I have a 'phosphate rising' issue on my tanks, the only real way to know if the surge system works better is the try it and see how it compares to my old setups. We need a tank that has phosphates in the .2+ range and see if the surge method is able to reduce that number, because from my experience, the waterfall method can't on my tanks.

That leads to the next question, can you make a post showing how you built it? I still can't wrap my head around how the surge works by looking at the pictures.

14. Garf

It's just a surge tank Ace, automatically syphoned, like this but with lights and screen in top tank;

[​IMG]

15. Garf

Thought you would be impressed with the set of scales pic, that photo proves light limitation, a major factor in my waterfall screen growth I think ;)

16. Pny

Pny Member

Agree... Or replace it with per energy consumption (ie: per kWh). It would also be valuable if more people wrote their nitrate and phosphate levels. It's not difficult to grow tons of algae in high nutrient water but since we like to grow corals as well, one of the most important features of any filtration method is that it can export N&P even in water with very low levels. A measure looking something like 5 g/d using 0,36 kWh/d @ 2 ppm NO3 & 0.03 ppm PO4 would provide much more information.

17. Garf

This time, harvest at 10 days;

[​IMG]

And the weight of harvest (sorry Ace);

[​IMG]

That's 0.153 g/i/d, so it appears 7 day harvests are slightly more productive than 10 day (and above) harvests. This would be due to light limitation, it seems.

18. Garf

4 days growth (connected up and screen cleaned on Sunday). Sump return pH depressed to 8.0 to 8.1 from CO2 addition. Display pH during day at about 8.1 to 8.2. The measurements taken are with the scrubber lights on. while the scrubber lights are off, the CO2 is disconnected.

[​IMG]

19. Garf

8 days screen. Couldn't weigh the harvest because scales are busted. Time to go large, I think

[​IMG]

20. Rumpy Pumpy

Rumpy Pumpy Member Trusted Member

UK

Reckon you're right.

Look forward to seeing that.