1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B.a.d.a.s.s.

Discussion in 'Experimental Scrubber Concepts' started by Garf, Jun 13, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Pny

Pny Member

How large are you planning? And what size aquarium do you got?

2. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

It's gonna be a full sheet of mesh (13 x 10). Suppose my tanks about 600 ltrs with lots of feeding;

[​IMG]

3. Garf

Finally did it! Big version in sump. Pic, maybe a vid later. Had to chop up my waterfall, so it had better work ;)

4. Rumpy Pumpy

Rumpy Pumpy Member Trusted Member

UK
    Yay! :)

5. Garf

Well, took a vid in red light. Can't see a lot but gives an idea of the movement if you use your imagination :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
  6. Garf

F.S.S. (Full Screen Shot) at day "0", a harvested waterfall screen;

[​IMG]

7. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I can't really see much water movement in that video, it looks like it is more or less still. Or maybe my imagination isn't working.

8. Garf

I'll do one in white light when it's grown a bit.

9. Garf

Seems to be following the same growth rate as the early stages of the small badass; if that is indeed the case, it should reach maximum growth rates in about 4 weeks time, as the algae acclimates to the different growth conditions. I have noticed that on the few cable ties I've used, growth has taken hold even though these are not roughed up at all.
    2 days;

[​IMG]

4 days;

[​IMG]

6 days

[​IMG]

8 days;

[​IMG]

10 days;

[​IMG]

10. Garf

Made a fundamental modification today. The scrubber is now subject to waves, and the benefit of glimmer lines. Got a video pending, but here's a pic for now;

[​IMG]

11. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

What did you do, put a Jebao WP40 under it? Actually not a bad idea. Growth looks decent. Remember how back in the day we were all told that you couldn't make a submerged scrubber work? And then how you needed bubbles to cause nutrient exchange?

12. Turbo

people should note - 12 days growth.

13. Garf

I think it's a maxijet 3000ltr hr (ill have to check when i finalise its operation), without the hose barb adapter thing. It's placed on the sump floor directed straight up. It causes a plume about an inch higher than the water surface (left hand side of the scrubber). As the plume cascades over itself it causes these waves. Just like the video of the beer casket pond, I posted about earlier in this thread, but a bit more ferocious. It's almost silent, as we know by now, most noise is caused by bubble formation, and this produces very few. The wave action on the algae is quite astounding.

14. Garf

:) I should have been a film maker. Please note the radioactive special effects

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
  15. Garf

It's strange you mention that. SM just posted this on a UK site that he is a sponsor of;

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showpost.php?p=6285850&postcount=1737

16. Turbo

You just proved him dead wrong, in 2 weeks. He has been preaching that for years. Notice the "I don't think" giveaway. He never bothered to try it! He has been giving advice for years based on what he has no direct knowledge of, and insinuating that it is fact.

17. Garf

18. Garf

Just done an "attachment test" and it seems I'm gonna have to scrape it. Just as well I can take it out without hassle.

19. Garf

Actually managed to clean it "in tank". Probably should have took it out though, the silt load on the surface of the screen was quite large, and made the tank murky;

[​IMG]

20. Rumpy Pumpy

Rumpy Pumpy Member Trusted Member

UK
    Garf - A few queries.

This is not quite the same thing as your original BADASS is it, as it doesn't fill & empty as that one did?

Effectively this is just a lit fuge with a screen and some extra water flow isn't it?

Similar to the thing that I tried a few weeks ago, you may recall the hedgehog thing, here...

https://www.turbosaquatics.com/vb4/showthread.php?157-Refugium-Scrubber-concept

which grew as close to sfa as makes no odds.

So what are you doing different? Why is yours working when mine was a total failure?