1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B.a.d.a.s.s.

Discussion in 'Experimental Scrubber Concepts' started by Garf, Jun 13, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

This is 6 hrs after 1st harvest.

Rubbish vid I know, but you must be used to my video ability by now.

Rumpy Pumpy - filamentous algae only require light, nutrient (enhanced flow or otherwise), predation free substrate and opportunity to exist. This screen is a pre matured ex waterfall screen which has speeded things up a lot. Flow is different from the small version, but on that one it was the left and right flow that was being tested as it filled and emptied, not actually the water going up and down. This new flow seems to have improved things as it oscillates more like natural conditions. Light is supplied by 80 ish watts of cheap grow LEDs so there's also scope for improvement there. Another benefit is that when the screen is cleaned with fingertips, it tears the algae which leaves a good base of algae for the next growth period.

Edit - Rumpy Pumpy, just looked at your thread again. There tends to be no benefit in having the screen more than 3 inches under the water. I don't know how deep your screen is but deeper means further away from the light. I'm gonna state again that your lights are very weak it seems to me. All those cable ties are probably reducing the light reaching the screen even more. Youll notice I have drastically reduced the amount of ties on mine to get the screen growing rather than the ties. I'm keeping my eyes on the few I have though to see if there really is a benefit, or not.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
  2. Rumpy Pumpy

Rumpy Pumpy Member Trusted Member

UK
    Cheers Garf. I think the light limit thing was my biggest failure. I had 2 x 15w cheap chinese growlight things on it. Had them on a small temporary waterfall since though and had to back them off significantly because they burned the algae badly, so they're not that weak.

The depth was about 6 inches I suppose, which as you say won't have helped.

I actually prefer the concept of what you're doing over the waterfall for ease of harvesting, lack of splash and providing an enhanced environment for pod growth.

Perhaps I'll have another crack at it.

As a matter of interest, what are your N & P levels?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  3. Garf

N 2 - P - 0.2. Exactly the same as it was when running the waterfall. I expect that my system has some sort of buffering because the levels don't really seem to change in the short term. I'm gonna hold off with the 24hr growth picture until I have a series but gdamn :)

4. Garf

Ok couldn't wait;

First harvest - day "0"

[​IMG]

+24hrs;

[​IMG]

5. Rumpy Pumpy

Rumpy Pumpy Member Trusted Member

UK

Assume you mean P 0.02 ?

Mine usually reads 0 on a Hanna thingy but occasionally shows as high as 0.03 - I've never been able to detect N in this tank although I'm sure there must be some present.

Perhaps my low nutrients account for the lack of growth on my submerged screen?

I think I feed as much as the livestock needs, never seen any benefit in overfeeding just to grow algae.

6. Garf

+ 48hrs

[​IMG]

+ 72hrs

[​IMG]

7. Garf

+ 5 days

[​IMG]

+ 8 Days

[​IMG]

8. Garf

+ 11 days;

[​IMG]

9. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I'd like to see daily pics under a daylight spectrum, the red/blue LED makes it hard to see the differences...just sayin! Looks like it works though!

10. kotlec

kotlec New Member

+1 Must be my eyes are not accepting this specific spectrum and I cant see what is on those pink pictures as well.
    Looks like abstract paintings to me :)

11. Garf

13 days in technicolor;

[​IMG]

harvested today, and this is how the screen looks now. Don't know if you remember my "haircut test" on my waterfall screen, but this "in tank tearing seems" to achieve the same sort of result.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
  12. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

That growth looks very good. How about the results? Water test results, I mean.

Also when you harvest it, have you done so in the tank? Have you noticed that when you pull clumps off, that you get a lot of gunk floating away? like detritus trapped in the algae mat, or liquid from the stands getting broken?

I have to wonder if the 'pull a handful' harvesting method will eventually contribute to water coloration in the tank

13. Garf

So far N & P is identical to when it was Waterfall. Yes indeed, there's lots of crud in the mat and yes, it goes into the water when harvesting. I haven't noticed any water discolouration yet, but seeing this is my only form of filtration at the moment I'm sure if it's going to give yellow water it will happen sooner rather than later. I have noticed a slight bubble formation on the top of the sump presumably from organics but nothing distressing (i only ever got that on the waterfall immediately after harvesting,and only when I harvested early). I've been toying with the idea of putting another screen in the sump, on the other end in order to make use of the waves that are being wasted that end and double filtration. I will keep it like this for now, just to see if test results get better or worse over the next few months.
    Something in the water chemistry seems to have changed because my ever reliable toadstool had a "sulking" episode for 4 or 5 days, but looks like he's recovering now (I don't believe in coincidence).

14. Turbo

I have an elephant ear leather (20" tall 18" diameter) in my 120 that will sulk for 3-6 days and then come back to life as part of it's 'shedding' process. Thought for sure I was going to lose it many times. But it always comes back. I really think it has to do with stability of the tank water profile.

15. Garf

First photo in ages;

[​IMG]

This is a pic of a bare patch that has been slowly developing (last 4 to 6 weeks) from the side of the screen that is in contact with the sump wall. It's very uniform across the screen.Can't see any snails or stuff on it and It looks as though coralline algae is invading, perhaps a consequence of not scraping the screen? Probably take the screen out at the weekend and see if I can get a close up pic in white light, because let's face it, everything looks like pink coralline in this light.

16. Garf

Finally got round to investigating. I'm hoping its a simple case of not cleaning snails off the screen. It's took nearly a year but it would seem that snails are clearing a bit of screen at a time and this is encouraging calcifying algae to spread. Freshwater rinsing doesn't remove them as they tend to hunker down and make themselves water tight. As you can see, the screen is not roughed up due to scraping when this was a waterfall screen so I've tried the holesaw to both rough up the screen and remove unwanted "maturity" (snails and such). I've had to be a bit tender with the holesaw because this screen is two years old and a bit delicate in places. There's still a few snails on the screen because they were hiding between the screen and Perspex bed;

Problem;

[​IMG]

Cause?

[​IMG]

Rectification?

[​IMG]

17. Turbo

You might try using a sharp-tooth saw blade instead of a hole saw. IMO, the hole saw is the wrong tool for roughing up, because it too easily grabs and snags the screen, ripping members apart. to get very specific, this is the one I use

http://www.lowes.com/pd_48770-355-2...t_qty_sales_dollar|1&page=1&facetInfo=Stanley

I take the handle off and hold the blade. Light pressure is all you need, and small concentric circles. From that screen close-up, I bet you could still rough it up a bit, but by the time you're done it would probably be just like a new screen anyways.

I do have to question the effectiveness of the plastic canvas on a submerged screen however. I don't think algae that is submerged attaches to it very well, and that could be a factor. Lots and lots of snails probably to not help though!

18. Garf

This is growing again. I've made a rudimentary modification too;

[​IMG]

Reading Adeys work on 3D screens it appears horizontal performance can be tripled by adding filaments that reduce lateral flow in areas and provide "Biomimicry" which alters screen dynamics to a natural diverse area for more algal species. Apparently it also enhances algae recruitment (by filtering algae spores from the water column). If this "DIY net" does grow stuff, I've not a clue how I'm going to harvest it but this is only a test, after all :)

19. Garf

Algae recruitment underway;

20 hrs after adding net;

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  20. Garf

Yeah, I know the vid is crap. It's better if you go to YouTube directly, and even then your eyesight has gotta be good.

Last edited: May 4, 2014