1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B.a.d.a.s.s.

Discussion in 'Experimental Scrubber Concepts' started by Garf, Jun 13, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Kerry

Kerry Member Trusted Member Customer

I read that from the SM site to, interesting article.

2. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

3. Kerry

Nice!!!

4. Garf

Just two weeks ago, this was a bare patch of screen;

[​IMG]

so, it looks like it does need an occasional scrape. Those tiny snails and stuff certainly do a good job of keeping the sump clean :)

5. Garf

While I think about it, I've notice two changes which may or may not be related.

Firstly, when the algae was receding on the screen the detritus build up within the mat vanished. ie. when harvesting, there was very little or no plume of organic matter being released.

Secondly, the growth whilst still good was more compact and growing closer to the screen. Whereas now, the growth is finer and moves around a lot more. (like the original growth I had).

6. Garf

Going Brown;

[​IMG]

7. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Nice scream at 0:11 :eek:

8. Garf

"Naz", the African Grey :)

9. Megatron1968

Megatron1968 Member Customer

Turbo did you get my message please

10. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Yeah, busy day, getting through messages here one at a time...

11. Garf

This following statement would suggest that horizontals should be removed from the sump for cleaning, which seems to be born out by my experience so far;

12. Garf

The faster flow (left hand side of the screen) is growing in the conventional manner. The right hand side of the screen has gone crazy.

5 days after cleaning;

[​IMG]

13. Garf

Day 8;

[​IMG]

14. Kerry

Those look like some happy limpets and your algae garden is coming alone nicely as well.

Garf likes this.
  15. Garf

Feeling pretty mischievous at the minute so I would like to point out that this is under 3 1/2 inches of water. Bang goes the theory of SM, where deep water scrubbers won't grow. It's not a freakish element of my tank. W.Adey did some of his tests at a depth of 3 meters, so -:

[​IMG]

16. Garf

I've gone and put a MH (150 watt) 14000k on it, out of curiosity. Been reading conflicting stuff about accessory pigments and red:far red ratios etc, so let's see what happens.

Turbo likes this.
  17. Garf

As you can see, the colour spectrum is totally at odds with general consensus as it is predominantly blue;

[​IMG]

18. Garf

May as well throw a few other charts up that I've been collecting, for reference ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)

C-horseman likes this.
  19. Kerry

Very interesting and informing. I always tried to use the 14,000K to 18,000K MH as they always made my coral look better. I could normally not afford the 20,000K or up back in those days but the MH I used always looked more blue then my 6500K florescent (T-type) tubes I used, also because I could not afford the preferred reef types. I just changed my 450nm-ish leds a while back for the 420nm-ish leds on my scrubber and the growth has about doubled in length and maybe more then that in the 3D growth width. In the next couple weekends I hope to get my other scrubber blue's swapped as well.

20. Garf

3 days with this light, and it certainly doesn't seem to be harming the growth;