1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

baddiesel's new L2 install

Discussion in 'Customer Support' started by baddiesel, Jun 9, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. baddiesel

baddiesel Member Customer

Turbo, I forgot to answer your question as to where I obtained my rock from. Some is ~17 years old, obtained from divers near Tonga, and some was (originally 2 years ago) just plain dry rock mined from Florida. I checked on the LR "re-cooking" in the garage, and it still has GHA on it. I didn't want to kill off all the micro-fauna that's on it, that's the only reason why I chose to NOT to nuke the rock with acid.

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I would almost wonder if you should put the algae scrubber on the rock bin, allow the algae in the scrubber to pull the nutrients out of the water and complete against the algae on the rocks. There may be an allelopathic effect that the scrubber would have on that algae, and on the bound nutrients in the rock.

The theory being that algae exudates chemical compounds when phosphate is limited to allow the release of bound phosphate from the rocks. Also, adding something like Microbe-Lift Special Blend to boost the bacterial diversity might also allow for some additional removal of waste from the rock bin.

If your algae on your scrubber is slowing down, yeah, I would say that there is a lack of nutrients. You can fix a nutrient problem in a DT with no LR and no feeding really easily with water changes of just GFO & carbon, or just let the bacteria take care of it

3. baddiesel

Yesterday, I relocated my ATS to the LR barrel. I'll update later as to progress. I will give the ATS some time to work it's magic, if no results, I'll drip LC and utilize my micron filter on the MAG 350. I'm still amazed this GHA does not require any light to live, let alone flourish.

4. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

I noticed this happening during one of my experiments and came to an unpopular conclusion;

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21473633&postcount=314
    http://algaescrubber.net/forums/sho...m-the-uk-day-one&p=32064&viewfull=1#post32064

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21476799&postcount=317

But recently SM has decided I was right all along. SM recently posted -

And when asked about limiting factors in algal growth he stated -

Now, whether this wider acceptance of the organic uptake mechanism will promote experiments with problem screens or "clamping" corals, I guess time will tell.

5. baddiesel

Thanks Garf, lots of good info there. I'm going to continue to perform weekly salt water rinses, and change out the LR barrel water. Today, I'll do a "light" cleaning on the ATS, and I'll update y'all next week. Since there's no fish, no food, no source of light, and with regular water changes & rinses, something has to give. I would imagine I've blasted, and removed most of the organics and inorganics on the surface(s) of the LR by now. Since I live right on the coast, I've thought about placing the LR in large mesh bags, and drag them behind my boat in the ocean for awhile. That should clean them fairly well. lol

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  6. baddiesel

Finally "Houston", we have "lift-off". Here's what I discovered in the LR "cooking barrel". With the exception of one tiny-dark-green tuft, the GHA is gone. Now, for some bad news. I saw some small "bright-green" tufts, they were branching & scraggly. I would define that algae as 100% Byropsis. They kind of remind you of tiny pieces of green 3m scrubby pads for cleaning pots & pans. These little rascals are diminishing, but still living without any light whatsoever. The ATS screen was full of growth. This time, I had to scrape it. I was afraid it would clog the drain pipe before my return home from up north. At any rate, progress is being made. *On a side note: as I recalled when I very first purchased the new "dry" rock, I didn't cure it or "cook" it. So, maybe PO4 was in the rock before introduction. The old LR, came straight out of a 75g DT, into several coolers, then into a 125g that I've since sold. Originally, that rock was "lifted" ~16-17 years ago from Tonga. Transportation to the U.S. was via a large sailboat. Sorry to go off topic. I'm happy to say progress is being made, but this Byropsis is a very-very tough algae to kill.

7. baddiesel

Sorry, it's been quite awhile since posting. I can only say, "I've been very-very busy". Now for an update that's been a long time coming. Today (12-22-13), I reinstalled my original (post GHA laden) L.R. into my 93g Marineland cube display tank. The rock lost it's sex appeal, but it's still full of life, and most importantly GHA free. Now for an update on my ATS. "IT ROCKS"!!!!!, I think I might have to increase the frequency of cleaning, or scrape one side per week (turf grows very thick). I have installed an auxillary sump in addition to my regular 25g sump, that contains my skimmer, return pump & media reactor. This auxillary sump has a Jeaubert(sp) plenum, 4" crush coral, small chunk of chaetomorphia, and sitting on top is the L2 ATS. This location makes it easier for access & maintenance. The aux-sump is a live-well for a boat, and it works great. I want to remove the chaeto, and take the media reactor (contains seagel matrix) off-line, and just operate the ATS and skimmer. My parameters are great (zero nitrates, zero phosphates). What'cha all think?

P.S. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!!!!

8. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I think that's great!

9. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

I think we need pics!

10. baddiesel

Okay.....I've taken a couple of pics with my android smart phone. I only know how to text and email photos. I use an ancient Mac computer, that's on it's last legs of legitimate use. It's Christmas Eve, and I've been busy cooking for 10 head. I don't know if there's an app that can assist with this or if some other means. I'll investigate further after the "dust settles a bit". Yep, got a smart phone, but the operator is not that smart in it's use. At any rate, I wish you'all a very Merry Christmas and the Happiest of New Years!!!

11. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

Download the photobucket app. You can upload them right from your phone. Then get the IMG link to post here.

baddiesel likes this.
  12. baddiesel

I got'cha!!!, thank you very much!!!.

13. baddiesel

IMG_20131224_120338_968.jpg What a pain in the posterior. I've got some photos in my photobucket account. Now, I'm going to attempt to post them here.

14. baddiesel

Sorry, I messed-up. I downloaded straight from my "gallery" in my phone. The image is probably too big, but this is what I can do with a New Year's and Tylonol PM hangover.

15. baddiesel

IMG_20131224_095302_418.jpg

16. baddiesel

IMG_20131224_095327_404.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2014
  17. baddiesel

Well, let me try this:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2014
  18. baddiesel

Sorry guys, this is not my forte'. I cannot perform this from my phone, without the image being too large. When I copy/paste the URL link from photobucket, you get garbage. When I copy/paste the URL link thumbnail, again you get garbage. So, for right now, until I get past the "learning curve", this is the best I can do. Besides, trying to prepare for my wife's birthday. Yep, she's a New Year's baby.

19. Turbo

You need to copy and paste the IMG link. I'm not sure what you're doing but you are deleting the [] somehow that are around the links and/or deleting the entire contents of the [] area, just copy the entire link in the field provided and paste it in on a new line, then start your text on a new line so that the image doesn't appear midway through your text

20. Turbo

I fixed your post #57. Just so there is no confusion, when you have a non-paid photobucket account, they embed a link into the picture so you get both the IMG and the URL tags. Don't delete either. All that does is make the picture 'clickable'. And although this is a total pain for mobile users (because in Tapatalk it will bring up the Photobucket page on a browser, which is ridiculous on mobile) you can delete the URL code and leave just the image code.

You can do this by changing the standard link:

Code:
    [URL=http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/baddiesel1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20131224_094822_971.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af241/baddiesel1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20131224_094822_971.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    to this

Code:
    [IMG]http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af241/baddiesel1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20131224_094822_971.jpg[/IMG]
    By deleting this beginning part

Code:
    [URL=http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/baddiesel1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20131224_094822_971.jpg.html]
    and this ending part

Code:
    [/URL]
    You can also do this via Photobucket settings by de-selecting the "link back option" but it ignores this if you have a free account.