1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Banned from the Algae Scrubber site

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by Turbo, Nov 23, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

That's right, I posted what I felt to be the truth of the matter and that was apparently too much. I have been banned from the Algae Scrubber site.

I guess it was only a matter of time.

I did not do anything that I felt was inappropriate besides making a blatant point about the growth sequence of one user's SURF2 scrubber, to which he had just posted several reasons that might explain his poor growth, and I basically was the one that forced the point that there had to be something else going on in order for his unit to be having such poor performance.

I also posted on someone's thread where they had made a DIY MIX type UAS and I stated that the MIX style not only had never been tested (I assumed that it had not, since I have seen zero pictures of one, only a rendering) and also made some (what I considered) very valid points about the proximity of light and the dangers of such proximity in an operating sump environment (such as salt creep, spray, or a lamp getting submerged on a pump/power outage.

If anyone was following the threads that I posted on earlier today, and you got the e-mail notification that had the text of my posts (around 9am Central Time) would you please re-post them here?

Hopefully, anyone with whom I was communicating will be able to figure out that they need to come here to get a hold of me now.

For the record, on this site, I don't care if you think that I'm full of ----, I'll have a conversation with you about how you feel and let you speak your peace.

Have no fear here.

That being said, if you join simply to bash away, that's a different story. I'm talking about sharing views, opinions, methods, results, about Algae Scrubbers in a way that fosters advancement in this fledgling industry.

If it works, it works, and we want to see it.

If it doesn't work, we will expose that, admit that, discover the reasoning and rationale, and learn from it.

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Oh it could have also been that I changed my signature to say that I was a manufacturer of scrubbers.

3. Turbo

I guess that was it because here are my last 2 posts (not deleted or edited):

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/showthread.php?2980-Help-with-overflow-UAS&p=34716#post34716

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/showthread.php?2905-My-SURF2-progress&p=34713#post34713

4. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

I think he has made a big mistake

Turbo likes this.
  5. Garf

So far I've PMd these folks about where to find you;

Red ant
    Audifusion
    Mud
    Sunflyer
    Kotlec
    Adeebm
    Brent1128
    Badstraw
    DownwardDawg
    Mocika
    Snoopy
    Devaji108
    Nizz
    C-Horse
    Greenchaos
    Daniel Decourt

May as well just keep modifying this post, so we don't lose track of who knows.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    Turbo likes this.
  6. C-horseman

C-horseman New Member

Thanks guys, Floyd and Garf for helping people understand the various scrubber designs and letting us know what works. I can't say I was surprise that you both got banned for the AS site. Keep up the good work.

7. HK_Fuey

HK_Fuey New Member

That forum is doomed to failure if SM keeps this up. The more people he bans for speaking their mind, the more the word will get around, and the less attractive the site will be. I can only see this one growing if it stays as open minded as it currently is.

Turbo likes this.
  8. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

Im here to help too if need be and if i dont get banned. I feel partially responsible for getting bud all worked up. Sorry man.

Turbo likes this.
  9. Rumpy Pumpy

Rumpy Pumpy Member Trusted Member

UK
    I am astonished at this. I didn't like that he banned Garf but could (kind of) understand why (sorry Garf, you know I love you really), but FT has done nothing to warrant being banned and has been an unending source of good info and ideas.

I've often supported SM against criticism, even though some of it has been justified but I think he must be losing the plot now.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  10. Turbo

Even if it was only the signature thing, a warning shot would have been fine, but I got a "Lifted: Never" ban and no reason given.

11. Garf

12. Rumpy Pumpy

UK

oh no!

1356708792280.jpg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  13. Garf

I've got it wrong, Greenchaos has now been banned.

14. Turbo

Whatever, it's fine. Time to move on anyways.

15. Rumpy Pumpy

UK

What did you do this time? :p

16. Garf

Post #5 at a guess ;)

17. Turbo

Yeah you kind of outed yourself there.

18. Turbo

Not sure where to place this link, but going to quote all the posts before it gets deleted like just about every other thread I started on the scrubber site:

Keep this in mind. This thread was started on 2-16-2011. The UAS was announced just a year later.

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/showthread.php?1012-Up-Flow-ATS

SM:

Me:

(wow...that was early on in my knowledge apparently!!!)

SM:

Me:

19. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

"One point to clarify about nutrient exchange: Contact with air is not needed. Scrubbers operate the same whether they are sealed or open (except for cooling/evap), because the exchange is not with the air; it's with the water. The reason algae grows better in an overflow, or where water hits a scrubber screen, or where waves hit the beach, is because the flow is higher here and thus the water's boundary layer is thinner, which allows for better nutrient transfer between the algae and the water. This is what a vertical waterfall scrubber tries to achieve: Fast flow from top to bottom. "

This is hilarious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Turbo

Yeah I thought about highlighting that but the air contact thing described in that post was related to the algae mat not needing to be exposed to the air in order for nutrient exchange to happen, as in you don't need to surge the water across it or take the algae out of the water completely. It is just a function of laminar flow.

The bubbles from a UAS are only there to create the same effect of the laminar flow. The "rubbing" theory is exactly that. A theory. It sounded good on paper but in reality, there is no wet-dry-wet effect in a vertical UAS like he claims, and that is due to surface tension. The bubble simply pushes the algae strand around. I bet if one were to to high-speed microscopic photography, this would be verified. Otherwise, even my take on it is unproven.

The SURF type might do this a bit better, but it's still just water movement. My UAS test unit grows algae everywhere in the chamber regardless of bubble location (and the bar is 90% clogged). I should shut off the bubbles and see what happens.