1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battling cotton candy algae

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by JonG101, Feb 6, 2017.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. I just wanted to see if anyone else has successfully battled cotton candy algae

[​IMG]

You can see it on the rock to the left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. [​IMG]

Sorry, wrong image

3. [​IMG]
    Here is a close up as well

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

5. SillySanj

SillySanj Member Customer

I managed to remove my Bryopsis via turbos scrubber. The algae in scrubber outcompeted with Bryopsis and over time with water changes, all gone.
    Just to show you how bad it was before I bought Bud's scrubber, picture of one of me turbo snails.

DSC_0078.jpg

6. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

7. SillySanj

SillySanj Member Customer

Hey Bud,

All I know is I bought your L2 scrubber to help eradicate this evil bryopsis and it worked with some water changes.

This is my second upgrade tank with Bryopsis algae.

DSC_0044_1.jpg DSC_0078.jpg pic1_4.jpg

pic2_3.jpg

This is what happened when I started to dose Kent Tech M after a few days.

DSC_0051.jpg DSC_0054.jpg

At this point I was about to pack it in as water changes did remove some of the algae snot but bryopsis stayed put. Something feed it as reduction on lights/food did nothing.

This is when I used your algae scrubber as a last ditch and glad to say it worked and I'm still using it now and will do on next upgrade :)
    It could be a weak strain but trust me, one hell of a mutha to eradicate.

8. I can't find where to buy Fluconazole

9. Turbo

Tech M doesn't work on bryopsis anymore, they changed Sone part of the formula

Let me see if I can dig up the ref for Fluconazole. Thought it was in that thread

10. Turbo

11. Perfect. Thank you so much for your help

12. danmgray

danmgray New Member Customer

This is an interesting question. I've been running an Rev1 L2 for quite a few years and for the last year or so I've been struggling with cotton candy algae. I still get decent, although less frequent, harvests from my scrubber but the cotton candy algae seems to thrive in the 90 gallon display tank. The only way I "keep up" with cotton candy algae is manual removal about once a month. I have a few guesses why I'm having difficulty...mostly because I don't give my tank the attention it needs and because the cleanup crew is...poorly staffed. I haven't really added anything since setting up the tank about 7+ years ago. I am strongly considering boosting the clean up crew and specifically making sure it includes several Mexican turbo snails.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk