1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bicarbonate and CA screen

Discussion in 'Experimental Scrubber Concepts' started by Garf, Sep 21, 2014.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

Will it grow? Place your bets please;

[​IMG]

It certainly feels rough. If it does I'm gonna include it in my upcoming horizontal improvement.

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I'm going to have a similar experiment pretty soon. I'm expanding on this idea by Gigaah on AS to bake sand onto the screen.

2011-07-08 23.50.01.jpg
    2011-07-08 23.49.10.jpg
    2011-07-08 23.49.38.jpg

PS Notice that the date of that thread and the posts within it pre-date SM's priority data for his "Appendages" PCT submission. Therefore, he cannot claim this as novetly. Free for all to use.

I'm going to do this using pool filter sand, which is much finer. The idea is to create a very thin top layer of quartz sand on the screen. This is mainly so that I don't have to rough up screens anymore which is a total pain. However I don't know if it will work well for cleaning (it will be like sandpaper) or longevity of the screen itself, and it might require using a different material than the #7 plastic canvas.

PS sorry for the total threadjack

3. Garf

If the CA bicarbonate mixture actually does grow, and it should, it will be embedded below the surface of the Perspex sheet (in a convention canvas shape to start with). This will allow the shearing action of cleaning in the sink whilst having "clear areas" of Perspex to ease the cleaning process. I'm planning on up lighting it to mitigate the problem of self shading at the screen surface which I mention occasionally. Hopefully the opaque nature of the mixture will allow enough penetration on the growing bits ;)

4. Garf

Here's a close up of a blob (15 x 10mm) after an acid bath;

[​IMG]

5. Garf

I've got a whole series of growth pics but photobucket isn't liking the new IOS update so here's a pic of day 10;

[​IMG]

Matt Berry likes this.
  6. Garf

2 days later and algal succession to green is underway;

[​IMG]

7. Garf

Two days after the first harvest pic. I did notice that the high points created by the CA/Bicarbonate were actually nearly totally clean after harvest whilst the gaps in between were still populated. This would indicate that the design of the screen could be optimized to shear the algae off at a greater length which should facilitate faster regrowth, a bit like my "haircut test" on my waterfall scrubber. Early days though ;)

[​IMG]