1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bubbles On Screen Scrubber

Discussion in 'Experimental Scrubber Concepts' started by Garf, Dec 10, 2012.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

When I've run my skimmer low (just to aerate), it's still forms a foam, which would overflow back into the sump, without a cup, given time. This previously alive stuff, may in fact be dead by the time this overflowing occurs, so I didn't allow it. Far as the Bubbles on a screen thing, I have a feeling that the proximity of the bubbles to the site of photosynthesis, may actually increase its effectiveness.

I have stopped my Co2 additions via the skimmer at present to monitor aeration at the screen surface. When the screen is not lit, the pH stays relatively constant at 8.15 to 8.2. When lit, the pH ranges from 8.2 to 8.24. When lit and adding Kalk to the display, the pH ranges from 8.2 to 8.28.

2. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

Ok.. do you think running the line from outside to the scrubber pump intake is a good idea?

3. Garf

Depends on your actual pH. Inside air usually has more Co2 in it, so if your pH is rising too much during photosynthesis, then use inside air. If your finding your pH is dropping too much when the scrubber lights are off, then use outside air (but mine doesn't, because this is when the display lights are on).

4. Ricky

Me four.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ran the line outside.. why? No idea. Just felt right.. lol

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  5. Garf

Excellent Ricky, now we can get some proper data. If you'd be able to keep your eye on pH stability, and calcium and alkalinity usage, that would be great.

6. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Are all the bubbles on the left of the sump coming from the outlet of the scrubber?

7. Garf

A skimmer without the "skim"

8. crashmushroom

crashmushroom Member Customer

I would say so mine is worse than that.

9. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Ouch, the one I have set up on the doc's tank (I really should start a thread on that one here) has a 3000 GPH flow through the sump - I think I would need a really good microbubble diffuser

10. crashmushroom

What kind of gph should be going through a 120g tank's sump?

11. Turbo

Personally I think sump flow-through is pretty subjective. I was shooting for not needing power heads for circulation in the tank as the tank has a heat problem and I was trying to minimize submerged motors. I put together an 18 jet loc-line system to provide all kinds of flow, but what I did was divide 3000 by 18 and I get very little high pressure flow in the system from each individual jet, and I have a powerhead but only in case the main pump fails (it tripped the GFI once, now it's not on the GFI).

Your in-tank turnover rate is what matters and that is a combination of return pump + power heads + closed loop (if you have it) and that is all a choice. Sump flow should be driven according to the needs of the filtration in the sump. So technically if you have only a scrubber, and overflow-feed the scrubber, that is all the flow through you need. If you were running a skimmer & reactors you need overall input water to meet or exceed the sum of the input water of the individual components

12. Ricky

Ive never ever monitored ph. But i will gladly share my alk and ca readings

13. crashmushroom

Thats a good idea with a high power return pump then i would have less jets of water but nice high water movement. Currenty i have a 40x24x24 inches (not sure how many gallons thats is) tank with a 3500l\ph return and 2 koralias 5500l\ph but i like the idea of your jets also the tank would surface skim the scum very well.

14. Ricky

Abandoned ship for now till i fix my sump to eliminate this problem.

[​IMG]

Once i install some baffles ill put a powerhead in that chamber and should take care of it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

15. Garf

16. crashmushroom

I could be wrong but i think a bag of activated carbon in my sump helped with that problem

17. Garf

Yeah, sounds feasible.

18. crashmushroom

Why is it just a build up of doc's

19. crashmushroom

How are u posting during the day u must have a handy job garf :)

20. Garf

I think so. Don't get any foaming on my sump, but I got a skimmer going also (which produces quite well). Saved a weeks holiday this year, so over two weeks for Christmas hols this year, and it feels great.