1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bubbles On Screen Scrubber

Discussion in 'Experimental Scrubber Concepts' started by Garf, Dec 10, 2012.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

I would point out that this build up of DOCs are also a food source for bacteria, and as far as I can tell are a speciality food for cyano and dino's. A bit controversial in a scrubber setting, I know.

2. crashmushroom

crashmushroom Member Customer

I agree 100% i had problems with my last tank and it was doc's when i reduce them with skimmer and carbon it receeded. I know the ocean is alot higher in doc's than my aquarium but lets face its not the ocean. I think if you have alot of corals maybe they feed on this which keeps it at a acceptable level but if you dont i think it needs to be controlled. Lucky man garf 2 weeks.

3. Garf

Just a thought - most people run a scrubber, reverse lit to the display and also in a sump (as far as I can tell). So, when the main display lights are off and photosynthesis halts, the display organisms give out more Co2 than they are consuming. Where does this excess Co2 go ? Well, appropriate aeration of the display should liberate excess Co2 to the atmosphere immediately above the display and it should linger there (heavier than air). But it won't linger there because the overflow pipes that feed our sumps also provide an outlet for the Co2. Therefore the sump gets lots of this excess Co2 in gas form and it remains on the sump surface, until it effectively overflows or gets moved away. This gas is then incorporated into the water once again by the copious amounts of bursting bubbles on the sump. Another thought, if the size of the bubblescreen air inlet is shortened, to below the level of the sump lip, this gas could be directly used to enhance the Co2 concentration of the screen bubbles without artificial augmentation.

4. sabbath

sabbath Member Trusted Member Customer

Bud have you tried adding air to the Rio pumps setup yet?

5. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Nope

6. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

Heres a second try.. i set the drain with two elbows to face up.. this creates a ton of turbulence and prevents all the bubles from turning into a skimmer.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
  7. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Wow, that sure is rocking and rolling in that sup drain section!!

And you had better tend to that baby man!! Momma's gonna need a break soon!

8. Ricky

Still have a ton of skimming in that compartment. Any suggestions?

9. Garf

I actually replicated this effect last week. I thawed a bag of frozen prawns (I love prawn cocktail), then transferred the nutrient rich melt water to a cup. I fed 100ml of this liquid to the tank. Within two or three minutes my skimmer was going crazy and my sump developed a foam from the bubble screen which looks identical to yours. After 4 hrs skimming (with skimmer) the effect subsided and everything went back to normal. I know you have no intentions of skimming but a brief period of skimming may resolve your issue, or a bit of activated carbon may help.

10. Ricky

Man, i just dont want to do either. This will remove food.

Is the alk problem noticibly less when doing this?

11. Turbo

What about terminating the drain at the water's surface or just below it, pointed sideways? Is there a reason you have the drain line go so far down below the water line?

12. Garf

Don't get any weird ALK consumption on mine, but I never have, as this aeration made sense from the beginning, and I matured the screen with bubbles going over it. That's not to say that every strain of algae will behave in the same way. I see you've got a control valve for the air, try turning it all the way down then increasing it till you get to the foaming stage, (Floyds suggestion also makes sense).

13. sabbath

sabbath Member Trusted Member Customer

I don't understand why you have the PVC pointing up. Are you trying to make bubbles in that box? If not wouldn't the least bubbles come from pointing it straight down. As air bubbles want to go up.

Sent from my mobile

Don

14. Ricky

The idea was to create turbulence to get rid of the foam.. but it didnt work.. still had tons of foam..

15. Garf

Do you consider the foam as a problem? Surely there just gonna break depositing the contents back into the water ? Or is it overflowing from the sump ?

16. Ricky

It makes the sump walls filthy thats all

17. Garf

What happens if you cut the bottom off a coke bottle, take the lid off and put the cut end over your scrubber overflow? You could put some coarse sponge in the bottle neck, to act as bubble remover. Bit rough and ready I know, but would save buying a skimmer and as always subject to very cheap alteration and improvement.

18. Turbo

LOL that made me think of the diet coke + menthos trick. If you didn't have the filter floss it would make a foam fountain.

But seriously, I think the filter floss idea is close. What you need is something to 'collect' the bubbles so that the join together. Have you got any bio-balls handy? Those float, and you could spread a layer on the surface, this would cause the bubbles to grab on to a surface and they might join together, pop, and offgas.

19. Ricky

Nah, the foam would pop right inbetween them.. lol.. i think im going to modify my sump so i can skim the surface of that chamber.. i just wonder if then the second chamber might have the same issue.. lol

Garf.. its funny how ur brain works.. reminds me of someone i know.. lol

20. Turbo

Try it. I think it will work. You need a lay of BB just enough to cover the surface.