1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Checking in from Sacramento, CA

Discussion in 'New Members' started by jfowler, May 14, 2014.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. jfowler

jfowler New Member

Hello all,

My name is Justin and I've been a salt water hobbyist for about 6 years now. I've only kept 2 tanks in that time, and I've always struggled in finding balance between nutrient import and export. Currently I have algae issues, and could really type in length as to the details, but I'd rather not bore anyone. ;)

Recently I've been lurking in the Algae Scrubber Basics thread on RC and I am really interested in adding a scrubber to the tank as opposed to a refugium. I'm so interested in fact, I have started collecting parts. If my concept of algae scrubbers are correct, I'm very drawn to the idea of using scrubbers for export for a couple of reasons:

1. Natural processes involved in nutrient reduction versus chemical or mechanical
    2. Easily add a scrubber to my system without modifying or replacing my sump
    3. The scrubber's performance adjusts to your feeding habits
    4. I love the building aspect to reef keeping, I'm a DIYer at heart

My plan was to mimic the design of the L2 scrubber, mimicry is the most sincere form of flattery, right? Though, if I had a healthy reefing budget I would not hesitate buying a L2.

From a previous LED build I have a meanwell 700ma non-dimmablee driver and a bunch of royal blues. I recently purchased a 6 x 20" heatsink, 12 660nm LEDs, and a light diffuser from HD. My next step is to pursue acrylic fabrication.

I'm sure I'll be posting in the near future as I start the build process. I look forward to joining and contributing to the community here. Thanks for reading!

2. IAmNotGr33n

IAmNotGr33n Member Customer

Hi, and welcome.

Looking foreword too see the progress :)

3. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

All are welcome, feel free to ask any questions about any part of your build process. I'm kind of an open-source guy.