1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chemsol L4 build thread

Discussion in 'Customer Support' started by Chemsol, Jan 2, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Nitrate limitation is common, and different algaes uptake at different rates, so it's not always the culprit.

I guess the main question is: how is your tank doing? Corals good, fish good, nuisance algae at minimum?

If those questions are all good, then don't worry too much. Stability is really the key, I and others have had corals growing nicely at what most would consider deadly phosphate levels.

I would get the Salifert Potassium (K) kit and test for that, run it a few times on a few different days and get used to the test. If it's low, I would recommend dosing the brightwell Potassion-P (powdered stuff, you mix up a solution to dose)

You could also dose Iron, Kent's Iron & Manganese is what I have used, you can't really overdose that stuff (well, you CAN - if you dump in 1/4 gallon in one shot)

Other solutions I would take before that would be to increase the flow if you can, and then add a few hours to the photoperiod. You can try adding hours without adding flow, but do it slowly, too much light and you'll saturate the algae.

Also have you removed the diffusers? If not - remove one and leave the other in place. Then on your next screen cleaning, swipe off the brown coating lighting and give the screen a light rinse (scrub top edge) and put it back with most of the green in tact, or scrape it off in strips, leaving the majority of the screen in tact (I have a video of this, haven't uploaded it I don't think...too busy)!!

Sorry if this is diarrhea of the brain here, I wanted to get a post in and head out the door :)

2. Chemsol

Chemsol New Member Customer

Thanks for the advice! I'll look into that further.

Gotcha, can't increase flow more without creating a larger emergency hole\pipe combo. I'll increase the hours slowly and remove a diffuser (one thing at a time). I also have started scraping the brown stuff off when I see it and preserving the green. It may be that I never gave the green enough chance to get started.

If there are still problems, I'll look into dosing.

3. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Update for you, I have worked out a better drain system that will allow you to get more flow. It will require you to do a little bonding, but you will be able to run almost 700 GPH through an L4 afterwards.

4. Chemsol

Chemsol New Member Customer

Sounds good, let me know what I have to do.

I have been cleaning off the brown stuff and the green underneath seems to be growing stronger. I removed one diffuser but so far there is not a noticeable different in growth on either side of the screen.