1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copepod Scrubber

Discussion in 'Experimental Scrubber Concepts' started by Garf, Oct 6, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

Another strange project. I've grown copepods on and off now from the year dot, always using some sort of micro algae, nanno etc. I have now managed to raise a bunch of copepods using D&D SPS food (powder), and they look very healthy obviously with the obligatory waterchanges. This project is basically an attempt to increase pod production through filtering the water using a small horizontal scrubber, lit from above, circulated by the inherent bubble system of a bubble lamp (modified to flow over an angled plate hopefully pulsing the growth area). Could be an epic fail but I'm going to give it a go :)

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

We love epic fails, as long as they are admitted to. There is always something to gleam from it.

3. Garf

Don't now why but having trouble with the vid.

Seems to work if you copy and paste "http://youtu.be/0Pe75ik5XWw" into a browser

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
  4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Fixed it. The link was working fine. I used the little filmstrip icon to add it. or you can just surround it with the VIDEO bb code tags

5. Garf

Screen and pods been in for 4 days now. Screen was a well scrubbed (back to white in freshwater) used section of the original badass surge tank screen;

[​IMG]

And just for the hell of it, I used a bit of badass algae (again washed in freshwater) to re-seed the screen. I left the tiny bit of free floating algae in there, and it's grown well. I may have made a Filamentous Algae Bioreactor :)

[​IMG]

6. Garf

7. Garf

[​IMG]

8. Garf

Cinematic gold ;) 2 weeks (ish) ;

9. Rumpy Pumpy

Rumpy Pumpy Member Trusted Member

UK
    That's a lot of pods. When are you going to harvest some? Or have you already?

10. Garf

Going to harvest when I clean the screen. I've noticed that when I turn the airflow off, the pods migrate to the top and hover around the GHA. I'm hoping that as I pull the screen out, a goodly amount will be trapped on the algae mat. Then a quick rinse in the display before harvesting the screen, so I may be able to control the harvest amount. I'm guessing the first harvest will be in about a week or so. I'm feeding daily (1/2 of one of the tiny spoons you get with the SPS food). Nitrate is currently at <0.25, waiting for another phos test kit before I can measure P.

11. Garf

Good news, the pods are multiplying like crazy :)
    The usually build up of pod poo on the culture base is barely noticable and much cleaner than the static culture I've also got going. :)

Bad news, everything else :(

For starters, the algae on the screen almost stopped growing, and became very "fluffy" or "thin" in cross section, just like it had ran out of food. :(

Tested the phos at 4ppm :(

Most of the algae was not attached to the screen, with perhaps 80% bare :(

Added a bit of iron and powdered spirulina, to see if other elements may be growth limiting. The initial makeup water was new saltwater (RODI/instant ocean) with a filtered pod culture.

12. Turbo

So I guess my question is that you call this a scrubber, but what is it supposed to scrub?:confused:

13. Garf

Supposed to grow enough algae to maintain water in good "pod reproductive conditions". Obviously not going to plan in that regard but if I can find out why, then there may be things to learn from it or maybe not. I don't think the pods are eating the screen algae because I'm pretty sure they are filter feeders.

14. Rumpy Pumpy

UK
    Might as well just set up a little tank with a conventional scrubber and scoop some out with a net now & then in that case.

15. Garf

I don't give up that easily

16. Garf

Update - no extra growth so dimmed the lights for a while, still nothing. Did a100% water change (obviously trace amount of nutrient from the pod sieving) and now it's growing again. It seems at present that the elevated nutrients were actually inhibiting growth, but open to suggestions.

17. Rumpy Pumpy

UK
    Is it possible that as the biomass of the pod population increases, it overcomes the filtering capacity of the algae growth area available?

Or that pods produce something that can't be efficiently filtered by algae & which limits it's growth?

18. Garf

Well, it seems nothin related to the pods. Perhaps it was a temperature/acclimatisation thing (now at 15 ish degrees, previously 26c) either way, it's growing now. A picture of the tiny screen (4inch diameter) after releasing the pods into the display.

[​IMG]

19. Garf

This is still growing. I've cut down the feeding to half of a tiny spoon full of SPS food a week;

I'll do some N & P tests later

20. Rumpy Pumpy

UK
    Is it worth the effort though in your opinion?

Are you getting enough pods from it?