1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lighting CREE XP-E Photo Red (660nm) LED

Discussion in 'General Aquarium Discussion' started by Matt Berry, Mar 19, 2015.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Matt Berry

Matt Berry Active Member Trusted Member

Anybody seen this?
    http://www.rapidled.com/cree-xp-e-photo-red-660nm-led/
    CREE's version of the Luxeon 660nm.

It can be run at 1000ma, as opposed to 700ma, approx 40% more output.
    That fact alone makes it very tempting, for me anyway. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the Luxeon when running in a scrubber.

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Was on the phone with Steve's today and he said they haven't ever seen a DR that outperformed the Luxeon but that was in comparison to every other off-brand.

Interestingly enough on my Cree factory tour I asked one of the top brass dudes if they were ever going to make a DR and he said no. Liar!

I would think 1000mA would get you closer to the photosaturation range.

Binning has a lot to do with quality too. Luxeons at 350mA have 350-400mW output compared to the 300mW listed on Rapid

3. Matt Berry

On the RapidLED website the 660nm Luxeons are listed as:
    Minimum Luminous Flux 300mW, Maximum Flux 350mW @350mA

Which is pretty much the same as the CREE. I wouldn't be surprised if the Luxeon still outperformed it in terms of efficiency (seems to be the trend across the range), but for me it's a very viable alternative, as heatsink space is precious. If I can pack in more output into the same area that will make my life much easier. I've been looking for a larger heatsink lately, but these will negate the need for that if they perform well.

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Time will tell for sure I guess...

5. Matt Berry

Maybe Steve can compare them? :)

6. Turbo

Maybe...