1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Curious algae growing in my tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rumpy Pumpy, Dec 12, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Rumpy Pumpy

Rumpy Pumpy Member Trusted Member

UK
    Not scrubber related but I thought this might be of interest...

A few months ago I noticed a couple of "leaves" growing on some rock. It grew a bit more and then started to go white, so I thought it was dying.

But it kept growing and now it looks like this

[​IMG]

I think it's this stuff http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halimeda

2. Mud

Mud New Member

Looks like halimeda to me. It uses calcium to grow, hence the dead parts turning white. I've seen large masses of it go sexual, too. If you like it, then keep your calcium up. I've heard horror stories of people not being able to get rid of it, also. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

3. Ace25

Ace25 Member Trusted Member

Yup, halimeda. I like the look of it in a display, tried it once, but the biggest problem was it spreads very quickly once it takes hold. Could be 6 months of just one nice stalk, then bam, baby pieces coming out of the rock elsewhere and it is rooted deep it the rock making it hard to remove.

4. Rumpy Pumpy

Rumpy Pumpy Member Trusted Member

UK
    My calcium uptake has been high lately so that would figure.

Thanks for that Ace.

I do like the appearance of it. If it becomes a problem I guess I'll just have to keep yanking it out.

5. reefer madness

reefer madness New Member

I had this in my tank two years ago and thought it was cool. We were told it was it cactus algae or also called Halimeda. I was told by LFS to get it out. Removed it by hand and it finally stopped growing.

6. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

I took out what i could. Then took a lil kalk with water and made a think paste. Covered the area where it was and it solidified and killed it off.

I do that with unwanted anemonies too. Works great.