1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tank Profile Dan's 50 gallon makeover

Discussion in 'General Aquarium Discussion' started by danmgray, Feb 6, 2015.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. danmgray

danmgray New Member Customer

I'm doing a very slow makeover of a 50 gallon Oceanic tank. I've had this tank since probably 2003. It was a FOWLR for about 7 years then a softy tank for couple years. I installed a Rev 2 L2 algae scrubber on the tank just before I took it down in late 2012. Over the years we've upgraded to a 90 gallon built in display tank and set up a 12 gallon biocube for our daughter, but I'm still attached to this particular tank...I don't know why...

So the 50 gallon came down in late 2012 but only for a short while. That's really where the story of this makeover begins. I moved the tank to the "man cave" in my basement, drilled the tank, put in a coast to coast weir and installed a bean animal overflow. I had it up again by March 2013, but without the algae scrubber-I didn't plan to stock the tank for a long while.

Since then, life had been busy and I've decided to take my time. For now, I'm going to skip to today...because I just recieved a Rev 3 L2 scrubber to swap for the Rev 2. Woohoo!

Matt Berry likes this.
  2. danmgray

Let's start out with a couple pictures of my tank from tonight. There are a few corals and a light clean up crew but no fish yet. The sump is 15 gallons.

Attached Files:

3. danmgray

FedEx made the special delivery today. The box was clearly marked fragile but by the looks of it FedEx did a drop test.

Than goodness Bud packages these so well.

Attached Files:

4. danmgray

I opened the box and the first thing I notice is that the packing peanuts are in bags! Awesome! No mess anticipated.

Attached Files:

5. danmgray

I ordered a bunch of filter socks and they make good packing.
    Everything arrived safe and sound.

Attached Files:

6. danmgray

I pulled the bubble wrap off the scrubber... I was excited and in a hurry...and I knocked over my mountain dew. Of course, it spilled right down my leg and made a big mess on the floor. So I cleaned up my mess and had to stop for the day.

7. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Gonna have to call FedEx and complain. 2nd unit in a week that showed up "dropped"