1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plumbing Dedicated Pump vs Siphon from Overflow Box

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Q&A' started by Shanghai_Phat, Jan 4, 2018.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Floyd (Bud), I'd like to run a siphon from my overflow box into an L8 (or possibly L16) scrubber in lieu of pumping water up from the sump. The scrubber will hang over the sump and I plan to slide the screen out as opposed to lifting it out. Is a siphon from the overflow box a bad idea? Why? Regards.

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Welcome to the site!

Are you using a 2-pipe "Herbie" or a 3-pipe "BeanAnimal" type of siphon overflow system? Or something else?

Siphon drain -> scrubber input has been done and usually works OK, the main issue is getting the flow rate on target. Your tank return flow requirements don't necessarily match your scrubber input requirements, so that just takes some planning. It's problematic to split a siphon drain line. But if you have a BeanAnimal system and the siphon matches the flow needs of the scrubber, then that is a good setup as the Open Channel and Emergency still allow for failsafe operation

Regarding this:

Specifically for my system, this is the default method of use - the growth chamber along with the slot pipe and screen are all lifted up about 1.5" and then you slide that out the end.

3. thanks, I'll be using a 3-pipe "BeanAnimal" and I'll now allow for the 1.5" - 2.0" lift of the slot pipe & growth chamber. So, the L8 dimensions are roughly 17" x 6" x 11" (LxWxH) thus 35-50 gallons/inch of length = 595-850 gallons/hour flow through the scrubber. Sound about right? Cheers.

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

The slot pipe for the L4/8/16 is the same, 12" long, so ~400 GPH.