1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference RED light and COLD White

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by tony73, Jul 9, 2019.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. tony73

tony73 New Member

Italy
    Hi all

I'm looking to make a DIY WATERFALL Scurbber ATS

In the past I used an algae reactor, 1st time I used Red led 660nm and a lot of Blue 440nm, 2nd time I used only white cold.

My concerns are that with WHITE COLD algae grow is more faster

But my question is: different light, as an example RED or WHITE, can grow different type of algae?

which light do you suggest for ATS?

Best regards
    Antonio

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

If you're comparing a scrubber that has mainly Royal Blue with only supplemental Deep Red to a scrubber that has only Cool White, I would expect that you would get better growth out of the scrubber running only Cool White - but not much better.

The ideal mix, in my opinion, is primarily Deep Red with only minor supplemental Hyper-Violet.

660nm Deep Red running at 700mA (100% rated current)

410-415nm Hyper Violet running at 350mA (50% rated current)

Ratio of actual LED chips: 6 Deep Red @ 100% for every 2 Hyper Violet @ 50% (which is essentially a 6:1 ratio). You can use less HV and run them at 100% also if that is simpler for you to build, but it is easy to put a pair of LED in parallel with each other and then connect them into a series string - Here is an example of 6 reds in series with a pair of LEDs in parallel within the series string (they are blue in this example)

DIY LED 12 Wiring.jpg

DIY LED 15 Wiring - Blues parallel.jpg