1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diffusers (L2 Rev 1)

Discussion in 'Updates & Modifications' started by Turbo, Mar 28, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

THIS THREAD APPLIES ONLY TO THE FIRST VERSION OF THE L2 ALGAE SCRUBBER

Most Rev 1 diffusers were shipped with sections that were blacked-out with a sharpie marker. The sharpie will fade over time, especially right in front of the blue LED.

Instead of re-applying with a sharpie, use black electrical tape. Apply the tape on the smooth side of the diffuser.

First, toward the middle of the bottom edge of each diffuser, apply 2 pieces of tape, each about 2" long - these will cover up the gap between the stand-offs on the inside of the box, and help reduce algae growth around the bulkhead drain.

Second, apply a small square of tape (about 1 cm on a side, or the width of the tape itself) on the diffuser right in front of the blue LED. It helps to lay the heat sink on a flat surface and place the diffuser over it, so that you can place the tape in the right spot.

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Here is a picture showing how I do this for the Rev 1 L2 that has not had the array modified

[​IMG]

Here it is, lined up with the LED fixture behind it

[​IMG]

3. Turbo

I should note that I have recently remove the diffuser from one Rev 1 L2 that I am using and found that growth increased quite a bit (it was already pretty good, too). So this diffuser mod might just end up being moot once the screen is mature enough.