1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dimming rain2 algae scrubber or any other scrubber

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trivodi, Feb 27, 2020.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. trivodi

trivodi Member

USA
    20200227_102211.jpg Here's how I set up a dimmer for a rain 2 scrubber which can also be used with any led powers scrubber. Here are the parts, all from Amazon for $22.

The set up is pretty strait forward, the power from the power supply goes to the summer, the output goes to the 4 way splitter, then to the lights.

The power supply for the rain 2 is 11v 3A but the dimmer says that it needs 12v. On the Amazon reviews a guy tested the summer all the way down to 6v and it works fine. Long story short it works fine with the 11v .

Here's a video of the dimming
    20200227_101921.jpg

2. trivodi

trivodi Member

USA
    I forgot to say that you don't need that many male and female connectors, I just had them all out when I took the picture. You just need one of each if you are doing the rain2.

3. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Nice!

Just for anyone else reading this, something like this only really works when you have specific LED arrays. So you can't take any off-the-shelf fixture and do this, some have a driver built in that is specific for the LED array it is powering.

Mismatching voltage/current or trying to send a dimming signal to a driver input cah blow LEDs out, or worse. Anyone doing it has to understand basic electrical and LED principles.

Thanks for sharing! This will help a lot of DIYers - it's great for dimming a DIY series array