1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lighting Display lighting and 470nm blues

Discussion in 'General Aquarium Discussion' started by Joel, Sep 29, 2015.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Joel

Joel Member Customer

Texas
    With my current LED setup, when the whites are turned all the way down it looks ok, not great but ok. When the whites are turned up it is far too white. My tank also lacks that high definition look I see in other LED lit tanks.

I currently don't have any 470-475nm blues in my display, back when I built it originally they were not really a thing. Current setup:

700mA drivers
    34 Cree Royal Blues
    14 Cree Neutral Whites
    10 Luxeon warm whites
    6 ~420nm Violets (semiled I think)

With my current drivers I could add as many as 16 ~475nm blues, and could replace 6 of the Royal Blues with them as well, which would give me this:

28 Cree Royal Blues
    22 ~475nm Blues
    14 Cree Neutral Whites
    10 Luxeon warm whites
    6 ~420nm Violets (semiled I think)

Any thoughts or opinions about going this route? This would at least move me closer to the 2:1 blue to white range.

2. Matt Berry

Matt Berry Active Member Trusted Member

If it were me, I'd go with a 4:1:2 ratio of royal blue, blue and neutral white.
    For added colour pop, add in some cyan, lime and violet.

3. Joel

Joel Member Customer

Texas
    I am not planning on removing anything really, especially not my 28 royal blues and 14 neutral whites, because they are all on 3up stars, and I like the 2700k warm whites, they cover a LOT of spectrum other things don't. However, 6 of the royal blues are independent and could go, and I could run the 10 warm whites at full power and the 14 neutral whites at half power on a single string. That would free up a whole string I could put 15-17 blues on.

Currently my driver situation looks like this:
    1: 17 Royal blues (maxed)
    2: 17 Royal blues (maxed)
    3: 6 Violets (could take 9-11 more)
    4: 14 Neutral whites (could take 3 more)
    5: 10 Warm whites (could take 7 more)

I could do this:
    1: 17 Royal blues (maxed)
    2: 17 Royal blues (maxed)
    3: 6 Violets + 9 blues (maxed)
    4: 10 Warm whites and 14 (half power) Neutral whites (maxed)
    5: 17 Blues (maxed)

That would be 34 royal blues, 26 blues, and 17 whites + 6 violets.

I would likely run all but the white(4) and blue(5) channel at full power (700mA) and experiment with the whites and blues to see how I liked the mix.

These are my drivers:
    Inventronics 42w driver - 700mA

4. Joel

Joel Member Customer

Texas
    The pictures don't really do this justice, but this is with the everything at 100%, in person it is less blue than this, almost daylight.
    [​IMG]

This is with everything but the whites at 100%, the whites are at 10% and in person it is a little less blue than this.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015